GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:37:46 PST
Madiba,

Thank you for forwarding this piece.

I must say that the author of this piece might be right in some cases,as
those he mention,but the fact is that this is not mainly reason why women do
get married and I dont even believe that this is a big problem.There is also
the fact that there are men who get married for material reasons,so to say
this is not only a woman issue.If we are to look at this issue we will find
out that there are more serious problems that forced women to get married and
I believe that this are issues that needed more of our attention.

Generally we will find out that most women do get married out of love but
there are cases were women are forced to get married by their own parents out
of material needs or for the sake of recognition.And if you will agree with me
,we live in a society that is culturally dominated by men and they set the
norm of our choice of love.The least that happens is a mother to force her
daughter to married with some one whom she is not in love with.Mostly it is
our brothers,our fathers our uncles etc who do such things.

Again,the nature of our society is that if a woman did not get married at a
certain stage of her life she is look upon with a different eyes and have
different role in our society,that is to say little respect,such a situation
have forced many women to get married with some one whom they did not
love.Take also our religion,Islam.If a woman died without being married,she
could not be buried in a proper muslim way,normally what is done is that they
get some one who will marry her before the burial could take place.But a man
can died and be buried as good muslim without ever been married in his
life.Well you see Author ,so when you men complain that we get married for
material reasons,forgetting that you are the very people who set up the rules
of which we are bound to follow or else we are told that we are influence by
western ideas and or have no respect for our culture.Marriage becomes not only
an individual option but part of the social structures of the society. Let us
look at the issue,nearer home;

In The Gambia the payment of bride wealth is a contract reach by men. The
negotiation becomes a determining factor as to the real worth of the bride.
The male representatives of the two families concerned negotiated until they
reached an acceptable agreement. The bride wealth could be in form of cattle,
pottery, cash,etc. The groom's family, if rich and prestigious, might want to
show off and give very attractive offers,and again, if they believed what they
were acquiring was worth it.

Then again many people advance different reason for bridewealth payment.
SOme say it is a token given to the bride's family as a sign of appreciation
for a daughter so well brought up. Others say it is a symbol to strengthen the
bond between the two families. Yet others say it signifies the groom's ability
to cater and provide for his future wife and family. But if that is the case,
why the negotiation? Perhaps the cases mention in your forwarded piece,the
women involved were just doing the negotiation on their own without no middle
man,this will without doubt anger many men who will want a piece of the cake
!!!!

Yes there are men who will want to show that they are capable of maintaining a
wife by providing for her needs,and in our this society were women are just
women,finding it hard to get a job and are constantly reminded that they
belong to the house,produce children,feed their husband and then they are
incomplete until and unless they are owned by a man.In such a society getting
married to a rich husband becomes an important
preveledge,of which,off course,many are dreaming of today. Until we have a
society with the believed that marriage must be base on love and women be
recognize as human beings,the situation will have to continue this way, so the
issue is not a only a woman issue.

The Struggle Continues!!
Ndey Jobarteh