GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:52:40 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/03 10:54:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I, the undersigned, do hereby petition The Gambia Government and its
> governing bodies to release the illegally incarcerated Secretary General of
> NDAM, Mr Lamin Waa Juwara now!
>
> Sister Jabou,
>
> The above is what your signature will support.
>
> R,
> Soffie

Sister Soffie,

Thank you. This statement above was at the end of the document I read, but
the same document also consisted of the NDAM statement which has been sent to
teh Gambian papers and which I think was a very good move.
Unless it has been changed, the way it was set up, the signed petition was
not comprised of only the statement above, but this statement as well as teh
NDAM statement which has been setn to the papers.
Please sister Soffie, understand that I am not asking this question to be
petty or for any other ulterior motive. I believe that it is imperative that as
many Gambians as possible support and sign a petition that demands the release
of Waa.
However, the document gives the impression that the signatory is a NDAM
supporter which is misleading and I cannot see how that can be a positive thing for
NDAM.
Someone else has stated that they felt they were misled because they thought
that the statement you have above was the entire petition but found out it was
not after they signed it. I believe you were copied to this email.
That is the only point I am making sister. I am sure there was no ulterior
motive intended by the preparers of the document, and i think ammending it may
be in the best interest of NDAM.
My question was not related to the concept behind the petition, but the
actual content of the petition.
I shall visit the site again and if the petition has been edited, you can
count on my signature sister Soffie.

Sincerely,
Jabou Joh