GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulie Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:26:03 -0500
Mr. Sidibe,

I don't think it takes a genius to understand what I meant when I declare
myself as "neutral" when it comes to Gambian politics. Nevertheless, I will
give you a scope into it. By saying that I am politically neutral in terms
of gambian politics, I mean that I do not lean on any political party in
The Gambia. As far as I am concern, politicians in The Gambia with the
exception of a few, are not guided by a desire to move the country forward.
Recent occurrences in The Gambia can prove me right. If you have people
quitting their parties to join the other side that they've spent the
majority of their lives lambasting against can be quite disturbing.

Reading through some of
 the postings on this list, one can easily identify
what political party some of the contributors lean on. There is no problem
with leaning towards one political movement as opposed to another, but
there is something wrong when one applies double standards as a means to
judge a party or a leader. That is one of the reason why my interest in
Gambian politics died out over the past years. A very dangerous perception
exist in Gambian and african politics as a whole, that loyalty to a
poltical movement means standing by all their policies even if your gut-
feeling tell you that it is wrong. That can be dangerous and we all need to
watch out against for it.