GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 06:47:57 PDT
Gambia L,

I am sending these extracts from the e-mails I received today from the
Gambia, on the Gambian situation.

Ebrima Ceesay

Ebrima,

The Head of the International Red Cross is in Banjul and attended the
funeral of Omar Barrow yesterday morning. The only body released thus far
because of his affiliation, of course, with both the Red Cross and Sud FM
Radio.

An international Red Cross official vowed to stay in Banjul until he gets
all the facts surrounding the carnage. SoS Ousman Badgie claimed this
morning that he ordered the firing of rubber bullets and argued that that's
what the security forces fired and not life bullets.

This is the type of disinformation campaign that really gets people mad as
hell. Why can't these people speak the truth for once. IT IS AN INSULT ON
THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE GAMBIAN PEOPLE. I saw a circular to the effect that
Yaya Jammeh should return today (Thursday). But the circular was not very
clear in terms of the exact time that he should get to Banjul.

I also understand that the British tourists have been advised by their
Government to stay away from The Gambia. Where are we headed to, Ebrima?
Check with the Foreign Office. The ensuing hardship facing The Gambian
people is beyond imagination. As for Yaya AJJ Jammeh's e-mail address
and/phone number, you should forget them, because he and his so-called
Cabinet change their numbers more frequently than they change their under
pants. By the way, don't call my office, keep calling the mobile. And expect
more e-mails from me.

Dear Ebrima,

I'm sending you a quick transcript of the notes I made when talking to
my friend who is a doctor at the RVH and who has been on duty at RVH from
Monday - Thursday afternoon continuous.

He reports 28 in Intensive care unit (many with gunshots wounds to the
school) - all these cases have life-threatening injuries

50 seriously injured on 2 wards:  many amputations carried out.

14 confirmed dead in the mortuary - bodies still not released as of 4pm
yesterday. And the dead counted does include the dead which occured in the
provinces.

People are now calling for immediate stepping down of Army Chief of Staff,
Minister of Interior, Inspector General of Police.  They also want the
immmediate release of all GAMSU leaders (and all other students).

Across the country the feeling is FOR the students (many APRC are either
saying nothing, or speaking openly against the government).

In Banjul, it's very difficult for ordinary people to move around. My
secretary's sister who is also a nurse was stopped 3 times going from RVH to
catch a transport at top of Independence Avenue:  she and 2 other student
nurses (all covered in dead students' blood) were questioned intensively by
the Army.

No police presence seen around RVH - only army personnel.  NO-ONE can now
get close to RVH.

It's judged that the next most difficult time will be the arrival back
home of Jammeh.  People are still threatening to line the roads in their
thousands, and the army is saying they will shoot !

God help The Gambia.

Hello Ebrima,

Banjul is very, very quiet and very, very tense.  From Atlantic Hotel,
you can see RVH and many families are still waiting outside the mortuary and
also the main entrance to have news of their children who may/may not be
there.

People are crying, and the paramilitaries are constantly patrolling up and
down. People believe that the body of the Red Cross worker was removed early
yesterday morning and taken to Serrekunda/Red Cross
for burial.

Also ordinary people in The Gambia are dependent upon rumour and word of
mouth to get the truth:  no-one believes the State Office
announcements on GRTS nor most of what was reported in The Observer.

People generally are very angry because the government does
not seem to want to accept any responsibility for the awful things that have
happened/are happening in The Gambia.

People are just waiting until the president returns from Cuba, and
then there will be more trouble.

Many students (and other people in population at large) are planning to
stand silently at the road side today when Jammeh returns from Cuba, but
that the army/police have given instructions that they will clear the
streets of any people.  Trouble coming ????

Ordinary Gambians are very seriously disturbed at the terrible events which
are unfolding.  People on the street are angry that Jammeh and his
Government are trying to pass the entire blame onto the student group.

No-one believes that the students deserved what they received - after
all, they were unarmed except for stones and fire:  the paramilitary
were armed with tear gas, rubber bullets, blanks and live ammunition.

People in Banjul and Greater Banjul area are sickened by what has happened,
and fearful for the future peace of our beloved Homeland.

"God help The Gambia"  is the prayer of ordinary people here.

What sadness to be bringing you this e mail Ebrima.  I can hardly
believe what is happening, and I am praying for peace with justice.