GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:27:25 EDT
    I left the  last paragraph in this forward because  I feel it is a mesage
to all
gambians abroad.

Jabou

Re: Break-down of VOTERS ON THE VOTER REGISTER by Constituency
Date:   10/26/01 5:29:08 AM Central Daylight Time

To:    [log in to unmask]

Jabou,

While I write this note, the Senegalese border post at
Sility is witnessing an unusally heavy traffic of human beings moving
towards their respective villages in the Cassamance. At the border, these
people are being closely scrutinized and their hands(fingers to be more
precise)inspected for any indelible ink marks. They are then asked to
surrender their Gambian voters cards before they are allowed to cross the
border. Prior to the elections, about 5,000 cards were confiscated and after
the elections the figure has now jumped to 20,000. A close relative of mine
works in Sility, so I know.  The Senegalese are closely watching both their
citizens who have participated in the Gambian elections against the warning
of the senegalese government and the Jammeh regime whom they believe is
meddling far too much in the Cassamance problem.

As regards the Parliamentary elections, the opposition should consider
seriously whether it is worth participating thus giving legitimacy to the
entire election process. The registration of illegal immigrants and allowing
them to vote in the elections has really skewed the voter roll to the point
that it cannot be rectified even if the APRC agreed to this, without fresh
registration. My advice to them is not to participate in the Parliamentary,
review what went wrong during the Presidential, asses the entire situation
and strategize for future elections.

One other thing that Opposition Parties can do is to request the
Commonwealth Secretariat to review their election validation process.
Someone did complain about this issue of how the Commonwealth Observer Group
would like to come in as quickly as possible, hoping that their in no
violence and cut loose before cracks start showing in the process.  That's
exactly what happened in the Gambian case.  I am particularly interested to
see the final report of the British MPs who acted as observers. I know that
they were not happy at all with the PROCESS. their report will be different
from the Commonwealth's. I am sure of that. I also know that the diplomatic
missions accredited to the Gambia are also taking a second look at the
elections as reported by several wire services yesterday including the one
that you posted from the AOL web site.

The Opposition should be the ones that should be reflecting on what
transpired and how to aviod it recurrence. They must admit that they blew
this one because they were overly confident, because of the crowd turn out
at their rallies, particularly the Alliance, and complacent, at the expense
of the poor and deprived masses of the rural population. The APRC should not
be the ones to explain, as Elhajj Fye and Malanding Jaiteh said because they
know how they 'won' the elections: you remember Yankuba telling people that
if Gambians did not vote for them "the jinays" will. Remeber?  Well the
'jinays' came from the Cassamance, voted and disappeared as 'jinays' are
expected to. The onus, Jabou, is on the Opposition to come forward and
explain to their supporters what went wrong and how they intend to correct
it in future.

On clear winner in these elections in my humble opinion is Hamat Bah. He has
demonstrated that he can stand toe-to-toe against Yahya and against all
odds, with limited financial means and still pull a respectable and 'clean'
35,000 plus votes. The other Parties should look at their leadership with a
view to changing the guard.  They may not want to hear this but they will.
The honourable thing to do after loosing two to three consecutive elections
is move over and let someone else have a go at it. Introspection from all
opposition parties is a must.

Are you wanting to come home because of the anthrax scare in America or
because of Gambian politics.  Whatever the reason, we need highly educated
and dedicated Gambians with high moral values to join the process of
building genuine and lasting democracy in our dear country.