GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:47:00 EDT
Soffie and Norsdam, thanks for your insightful comments on the above subject
matter. Soffie, I just hope that those morons can decipher the profound
meaning behind your posting. The feet-dragging and lawlessness in The Gambia
can only lead to anarchy. As Norsdam and many people on this forum
(non-lawyers I might add) have pointed out, this is a very simple matter.
But a commission of inquiry or a coroner's inquest is not where this matter
should be resolved. It is incumbent on all of us to doggedly follow where
this thing is going and preempt some of the ridiculous positions of this
government; like Colly did with the alleged burglary of their armory and the
use of rubber bullets. That way, we can do our little part to avert an
impasse between this illegal government and the Gambian people. We need to
let the government know in no uncertain terms that we will not sit down and
let them lie their way through this one. If we allow them to manipulate the
justice department and the judiciary and set up toothless commissions to
cook up lies, we would just end up with another massacre. People are going
to rise up again and demand justice and this time around, it will be more
deadly. That is why it is important that we make sure that justice is not
only done in this matter, but it should be seen to be done as well. We will
rely on the Gambian press and private lawyers (excluding Joseph Joof) to
apprise us of what is going on so that we can all make sure that this
government does not commit another fraud against the Gambian people in broad
daylight.
Our reliance on the press brings me to Ebrima Ceesay. Ebrima, do not ever
consider walking out of this forum or any other because of some childish
personal attacks. Contrary to what you believe, a lot of Gambians on the
List and elsewhere appreciate what you do and we do not appreciate or fear
thugs. At times when we counsel restraint, we just want you to avoid
distractions and mudslinging. We know you have every right to defend
yourself if your credibility is on the line. But proportionality is the key
here. You do not have to come here and prove anything. We know about your
humble background from Latrikunda and how you worked hard to be where you
are today. So do not worry about anyone who comes here to question your
credentials. Just focus on attacks aimed at discrediting your stories. We
know that the journalists back home cannot do everything. So it is important
that they have an outlet through people like you and Colly. So do us a favor
and just focus on that. You have a lot of friends and respect from more
worthy people.
KB