GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:29:57 -0500
Good Afternoon Mr. Editor, The Healing Process Revisited

The Point (Banjul)

January 2, 2001

Banjul

This is a press statement from Mr. M. Sarjo Jallow, Gambia's Minister of sports
and chairman of the Gambia Government's spokespersons committee.

Welcome to our last Press Conference into the New year 2000. Please accept our
best wishes for a peaceful and prosperous year, free from not only the
harassment of journalists but also from the provocations of journalists,
politicians or anybody else "who da cap fits!"

Please allow me a toast of recent Editorials from the Point Newspaper of Monday,
4th December and Tuesday, 24th December, 2000. For us they exemplify biased
opinion meant to discredit government's efforts in peace-building nationally and
in the sub-region. The claim that "nothing was healed from either side" of the
forces which clashed during the April 2000 demonstrations is simply unfounded.

The fact that some of the wounded students were sent to Egypt for treatment
speaks of concern, not neglect. It is worth pointing out that despite the loss
of lives and injuries, not to mention the wanton destruction of properties, both
sides of this tragic conflict continue to display good will and patience. This
is absolutely necessary while solutions are actively being sought to heal the
wounds through medical and judicial means, as well as through extended-family
counselling.

We are, therefore, reminded of the urgent need to honour the national call for a
healing process, in the interest of peace justice and the families affected. All
of us should try in our little ways to contribute, just as the Point Editorial
(26/12/00) quoted from an Indian mentor, Mr. Jawaharlal Nehru: "Every little
thing counts in a crisis."

Mr. Editor, your accusations in the Editorial "Gambia's Foreign Policy Failures"
(4/12/00) provide yet another example of biased opinion. Unfortunately, it comes
at a time of tragic events in Guinea Bissau, Casmance and other parts of the
sub-region. Let us have the courage to give credit where it is due, and to rally
as a nation behind government's untiring efforts in peace-building and
re-conciliation. Peace and stability for Gambians, the sub- region and
impoverished humanity is a national, professional and political responsibility.
We need a healing process for peace an stability to achieve human development,
especially for our disadvantaged women and youths.

The conservative forces trying to restore the old order in this country are of
course making use of the press corps. That is to be expected, but that is no
excuse for turning a blind eye to the signs of progress. For example, The
Gambia's farming families, which constitute the majority, have successfully
responded to Government's "Back to the Land" campaign.

Whereas the number of active farmers declined by 6% between 1991-94, the period
1994-1999 speaks of progress in job creation: an increase of 26% was registered!
Mr. Jacques Diouf, Director-General of FAO, also reported during his recent
visit that the Gambia is "one of the 10 countries to have achieved food
security." We are grateful for the prayers and good rains, but it is only fair
to acknowledge the significant role played by investments made into the sector
by government and its development partners.

Our ideological orientation and party affiliation aside, let us accept the facts
of progress. IF not out of commitment to professional ethics, doing so would
certainly be a "little thing" that counts in a healing process urgently needed
to help improve upon the African condition.