GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:50:40 EDT
           It was at Maimuna's compound, and with her constant nudgings, that
Musukuta became enamored with this handsome young man with the dreadlocks.
His name was Babs. Babs had a very easy disposition and a great sense of humor.
He had an aura of respectability and charm manifested in his slow and
calculated speech pattern. The first time Musukuta met him at Maimuna's compound, Babs
was engaged in a heated conversation with a friend about the political
climate in the country. Musukuta was fascinated, not only with the depth of his
political outlook, but also with the calm and seriousness of his import. She had
no interest in politics, but as she sat there and threw one or two inquisitive
glances at him, something deep within aroused her curiosity. Babs was also
throwing cursory glances at her. When Babs left, Musukuta asked Maimuna to tell
her more about him.

         Whenever Babs visited Maimuna, and it had suddenly become frequent,
Maimuna would secretly sent someone to call Musukuta, and pretending that she
had something urgent to do she would abruptly leave the room. The two would
then be left alone. Musukuta was surprised when Babs told her that he had
developed a liking for her.

          "You may not know it, but I had been falling in love with you the
first time I saw you," Babs said.

            "How so? That sounds interesting," Musukuta said.

             "I have talked to Maimuna about you. She has arranged for us to
be alone together," Babs said.

              "So Maimuna knew that you are interested in me?" Musukuta
asked.

              "Yes, she knew. I hope she's been telling you good things about
me," Babs said.

              "You bet. Now I understand why she talked so favorably about
you. I made the mistake of asking her," Maimuna said.

                "What did you want to know about me? I will tell you if you
asked me," Babs said.

              "Not that I care, but why are you so passionate about politics?
It intrigues me to watch you talk about politics," Musukuta said.

             "Well, that is one thing you have to appreciate about me if you
have to fall in love with me. Think again, and I am serious about marrying
you, but I am a political animal," Babs said, with a little chuckle.

              "I will think it again, but I can assure you that you come
across as a very pleasant gentleman," Musukuta said.

              "Then don't keep me waiting for too long. I sincerely love
you," Babs said.

        Musukuta had reservations about Babs political activities, and the
knowledge that he was involved in an underground political movement, but the
feelings she developed for him grew stronger than the fears she harbored. She
therefore responded positively to his overtures. Babs was sincere. Many a time,
through their various outings together, Babs had had the opportunity to take
advantage of her, but strongly respected the culture that nurtured her to remain
a chaste, until the day she was married. Babs ingrained moral upbringing, and
his respect for the dignity of a woman's body as the temple of goodness,
informed most of his social perceptions.

       Although outwardly he appeared as a radical, with the dreadlocks and
ease in his bearing, Babs exemplified some personality traits that brought out
the best of his humanity. He was kind; he was respectful, and was aversed to
the culture of injustice, social iniquities and sheer exploitation, which
supported his political orientation and ideological leanings against the status
quo, and the moral bankruptcy of the state apparatus. His quiet demeanor belied
the conviction and determined intent to which he committed his political and
social ideals. Musukuta sometimes couldn't understand the man she had fallen in
love with. She was utterly confounded the day Babs and some members of  his
group, were rounded up and arrested over allegations of sedition against the
state.

       The allegations couldn't be substantiated, and the charges brought
against Babs and the other defendants were dropped. It was around this time that
Babs made the proposal to marry Musukuta. The political environment in the
country had become more and more repressive, and some members of Babs group had
been subjected to harrassment by the police. Others had been unceremoniously
sacked from their government jobs. The group began to disintergrate, and one
after the other Babs colleagues exiled themselves to Europe. Babs decided to
marry Musukuta before he too travel to Europe. Musukuta would later join him. Babs
sent a delegation of elders to Musukuta's family with cola-nuts, to inform
them of his intentions to marry their daughter.

                                                      *

       When Musukuta started to date with Babs, Sengan watched resignedly as
she was transformed from the sweet, innocent village that he knew, to this
blossoming young woman who was always going to the city on weekends to party and
socialize. Other than the fact that she might have overgrown their immature
love relationship, Sengan saw no other reason why she should leave him. He felt
betrayed. As Musukuta now avoided meeting him, Sengan caught up with her as
she walked alone to Ma Binta's vegetable garden to take some food to her mother.

        "I am told about the guy you are going out with," Sengan said. "I
just have to warn you that you be careful with these cityboys."

        "Thanks for letting me know, but Babs is a nice man. I have been
going out with him now for over a month and he has not made any demands on me,"
Musukuta said.

       "Take it from me that he is betting his time. They are all the same.
They came nto the village and take all our girls, and the next thing you know
our girls will start to get pregnant one after the other," Sengan said.

        "What? You think the girls are fools?" Musukuta asked. "You think we
will cheaply soil our pride just because we are dating these men?"

          "What do you want me to think? You are the ones dumping us for
outsiders," Sengan said.

            "Are you still mad, Sengan?" Musukuta asked. "We will always be
good friends. Trust me."

             "I can't believe that you are leaving me for this guy," Sengan
said. "What have I don't to you, Musu?"

             "You have done nothing wrong to me. I love this guy. You will
get over it. As I said we will always be good friends. I will always regard you
as my brother," Musukuta said.

             "Well, it looks like you really love this guy. Well, whenever
you need me I am around," Sengan said, as he started to walk away.

              "I will remember. I am sorry that I hurt your feelings. You
know that I always like you very much. But this is different. Babs is more
matured and I am learning a lot from him. I hope you understand," Musukuta said.

          When Sengan looked at Musukuta he could tell that her life was now
different. She was full of energy and fun. Her face was beaming with
happiness. Sengan jealously attributed the changes to Babs. He could tell that he was
sincere and love Musukuta. Babs was much older than Sengan, and had a lucrative
job as a bartender at the Sunwing hotel. Sengan therefore was not surprised
when he heard that a delegation of elders had taken cola-nuts to Musukuta's
family asking for her hand in marriage. He also heard the rumors that Pa Burama,
Musukuta's father did not like the young man. Pa Burama had a negative
impression of Babs, and had refused to entertain any talks of marrying his daughter
to him. Ma Binta stood steadfastly on her daughter's side, and with her daily
onslaughts on Pa Buruma's recalcitrance, her husband began to show signs of
weakening his position.

       Musukuta was standing by the village well when she saw Sengan coming
to meet her. At a throwing distance, the goats and sheep restless under the
excruciating heat, cuddled under a rich canopy of trees. The leaves of the trees
rustle and sent shivers of a chilling breeze.

        "How are you doing, Musu? Everything OK," Sengan asked. He searched
into her face and saw the worried look.

         "No, Sengan, everything is not alright," Musukuta said. "My father
doesn't agree yet to Babs proposal to marry me."

         "It should be the pride of any father that the hand of his daughter
is asked for in a marriage," Sengan said. "Pa Burama should get over the fact
that you share a strong bond. He should accept that you are in love and let
go."

          "He is biased against Babs and is too judgmental. He doesn't like
him. He always tries to convince me to leave him," Musukuta said.

          "I think Babs loves you, and I observe how he treats you with
respect. Tell your old man to back off. You are very close to him and I am sure you
can persuade him. Try to win him over," Sengan said.

          "He is softening his position now. I hope soon the wedding
cola-nuts will be here," Musukuta said.

            "How about the wedding gifts? I would demand a heavy price on
your head. This shows you how much I care about you. I wish you the best Musu. I
want you to be happy," Sengan said.

             "Thank you, Sengan. I know you care about me. May be our paths
were not meant to cross," Musukuta said, as she started to walk away.

                                                          *

       Musukuta was sitting on the bed in Ma Binta's living room surrounded
by her friends and relatives. This was her wedding day. She looked radiant in
an impeccable white outfit and wore a charming smile. Babs had planned to
travel to Europe on that day that he was married to Musukuta. He had made plans for
her to join him later. When Babs made a joyful entry into the compound with
his entourage of friends, who were also going to see him off at the airport,
the compound was full of people. There was food and drinks in abundance, but
much to the chagrin of some of Musukuta's relatives she would not be taken to her
husband's house that night. Babs left for the airport later that evening.
When Babs was leaving the compound with his entourage, a sudden sadness descended
upon Musukuta. She stood in the middle of Ma Binta's living room and kissed
her husband. Babs had to find the resolve to part with his newly wedded wife,
so that he could make it to the airport on time. The marriage was not
consummated that night.

         As the evening drew to a close, and the festivity started to die
down Musukuta  thought about her husband. He was now airborned. She thought about
the rituals that would have taken place before she was accompanied to her
husband's house that night.

         In an enclosed area in the compound, she would have been given a
special bath. She would sit on a mortar that had been turned upside down. A basin
of aromatic water would sit on her feet. She would then be cleansed and
bathed, and dressed in an impeccable white garb. Her head would be dressed in a
white head tie, covering her neck, chin and cheeks. In the middle of the compound
a new mat of intricate designs had been spread. Musukuta would sit in the
middle of the mat surrounded by the elders, relatives, her bridemaids and
friends. The norms and values that guided a healthy, fruitful and lenghty married
life would be narrated to her. She would be given advices; she would be
instructed in maintaining moral standards in her marriage. After all the talking and
prayers, a delegation would accompany her to her husband's house.

          Admist the fanfare, drumming, dancing and singing, Musukuta would
be at the center of the crowd her face covered with a wrapper. At the door to
her husband's house, Musukuta would kneel down on her knees and crawl behind an
elderly woman into house. The elderly woman should be one who had never left
her husband's house in a separation or divorce. Musukuta's husband would be
sitting on the wedding bed with his friends and chief attendant. They would all
be dressed in white. As soon as Musukuta crawled closer to the bed, her
husband would picked her up from the floor and together they would fall down on the
bed.

         Musukuta and her husband would sit in the middle of the bed, a
calabash of white porridge with sour milk between them, as they competed as to who
would put his or her hand first into the calabash. If Musukuta's hand were to
be in the calabash first, their first born child would be a girl. If her
husband's hand were to be in the calabash first, their first born child would be a
boy.

           In the morning, her husband beaming with pride would alert the
elders that Musukuta indeed was a maiden. The drums would be sounded. The whole
neighbor would be alerted that the new bride of yesternight was a maiden. The
gifts would start to pour in; honor and pride would be bestowed on Musukuta.
This was the day she had lived for. Now it was going to be different. She would
meet her husband without all the fanfare and drumming; without all the pomp
and parade.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい