GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:51:57 EDT
In a message dated 8/17/01 8:44:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> What Parties like NCP want will NOT happen. Gambians are sick and tired of
> this Jawara bashing. People were all over G_L reacting to APRC lies and
> saying all sorts of things to PPP; calling them power hungry for wanting to
> dominate the Alliance and bring Jawara back. Others worked doubly hard to
> ensure that PPP realize that it is NOT their place to dominate the Alliance.
> Now, PPP came out and say that they have no interest whatsoever in fielding
> a presidential candidate. They were going to support a CURRENT Opposition
> leader (Ousainou Darboe) to be the presidential candidate. Dibba thinks he
> should be the presidential candidate. He had an NCP stalwart to nominate him
> at the Meeting. OJ nominated Ousainou Darboe. Dibba thinks that this is a
> stalemate. I urge him to go and do his math again. Whereas his candidacy was
> supported by only one Party (his own), Darboe’s was supported by both the
> PPP and the UDP. This is NOT a stalemate.

Dampha,

What about the NRP and PDOIS? I think that this meeting needs to be
reconvened and all parties invited to participate again. At this meeting,
everyone should state their view on how this allinace should be forged, and
concessions have to be made by all to reach a middle ground. Bickering and
differences should not ruin this possible allinace. Everyone must show
sincerity in their eforts to include all the opposition parties. Now, if this
is met with reluctance to participate by some of them, then at least the
effort would have been made. Without this, any allinace forged will be looked
upon as less than ideal in terms of making an effort to reach out to all
concerned. For God's sake, what we need are all of these people to cooperate
without anihilating anyone in the process. Could it be that this is the
strategy Jammeh was counting on when he unbanned these parties?

Jabou Joh