GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:03:24 EDT
I was begining to think that I was the only one disturbed by this story.
Mrs Taylor and those people who  helped prop up the regime of Charles  should
not only be detained for crimes against the people of Liberia, but the
arrival of these people should be a matter of grave concern to Gambians.

However, these people must know that they are welcome in Gambia, otherwise
they would not come calling, and that is even more troubling. I am wondering if
Charles Taylor himself will be the next one to arrive in our country to take
up refuge there instead of Nigeria if his wife, children and supporters are
there already. One has to ask the question why Gambia and why thsi particular
entourage?

 The prospect of Charles Taylor in our country, harboured by the APRC regime
is a combination that will be disastrous, and I hope that ECOWAS will insist
that Charles Taylor and his family go to Nigeria as already agreed. I also
wonder if ECOWAS has any authority as far as the supporters  of Taylor who have
accompanied his wife to Gambia are concerned.This is not an issue to ignore.

Jabou Joh