GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:21:38 -0700
Hello Dr. Saine,

Thank you very much for a well thought out position paper. I do believe the
paper does reflect the majority view of the Gambia-L community, with respect
to the way forward for our nation. As pointed out in the paper, we need to
help The Gambia to heal.  However, in order for this to be possible, we also
need to recognize the fact that some members of our society have been
unfairly victimized since the coup of 1994.  It will only be just and fair
to see to it that the perpetrators of these injustice are made accountable
for their actions.  This will set as examples to others, that nobody is
above the law, and that even the weakest in our society deserves the full
protection of the law of the land.

Furthermore, a climate of fair play should be created in the country in
order for the citizenry to feel that is it worth their time to be part of
such a self healing process.  In this regard, the present regime needs to
make a bold move and do away with the repressive decrees which were in
existence since the early days of the 1994 coup.  The present situation in
The Gambia does not require such laws.  After all, the constitution although
flawed, should be the sole guardian of all our actions, whether at
governmental level or between individuals.

The people of The Gambia deserve better standards of living than they
presently enjoy.  A lot of errors have been committed in terms of good
governance since we gained our independence from Britain, and there have
also been lots of lost opportunities.  The time is well overdue for the
causes of these errors and missed opportunities be properly analyzed, and
appropriate measures be implemented to guard against them in the future.
Unless we are able to effect such changes, we as a nation, will not achieve
our full potential. This will prevent us from making the necessary progress
to better the lives of our people. The rhetoric about colonialism and other
similar utterances which portray our elected leaders as patriotic and
caring, will only remain as such, rhetoric, unless and until their actions
match their words.

The proposals outlined by Dr. Saine point us in the correct direction for
the healing process to begin.  I urge The Gambian government to make a move
and show the Gambian citizenry her sincerity and willingness to work for
justice, peace and prosperity in our home land.

Bakary J Sonko.