GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Adama Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:59:30 -0700
Hamjatta,
Apparently you have betrayed your ignorance of the facts on the ground. You keep mentioning that PDOIS was
invited by the UDP to a rally.This is ofcause a fabrication. You have misread the comment made that
opposition parties were invited to UDP rally.
I have always avoided being petty. This is why there was no need to go into PDOIS's experience with other
parties. This is left to PDOIS to explain. Am sure they will not waste time with a personality like you,
others will handle all your fabrications in a mature way.
The important point to note is that, there is absolutely no need for the pointing of fingers. A coalition is
a voluntary process. PDOIS was the first party to suggest that coalition can come in the second round. This
advice was not heeded to. Secondly, PDOIS provided an agenda for a transition programme of one year
characterised by civic education to enlighten the Gambian people so that inducement and intimidation will be
things of the past; the opening of the national media to all political parties to put their programme before
the people for a period of one year; the ratification of what the APRC had removed or included in the
constitution and other laws; to be followed by presidential election after one year so that the people can
make their choice of parties. PDOIS was waiting for other political parties to come up with an agenda before
an inter party meeting could be set up.. The developments which followed leading to the 13th. August fiasco
has nothing to do with PDOIS. PDOIS acted in good faith throughout. Foroyaa simply exposed what was happening
on the ground. The fact that to you the Gambian people are horses and the political party traders can engage
in political horse trading underground reflects the height of your political decadence.
Sincere Gambians recognise that a blunder has been made by the opposition. If each political party stated its
political agenda for a coalition in order to at least give the image of a united front, the political parties
could have selected a coalition candidate in the first round or tell the press that they have agreed to think
of a coalition in the second round. This is a simple truth that a person like you fails to digest.
I mentioned that the UDP declared that it was going to launch its presidential campaign on the 18th. August.
I also indicated that only the PPP has endorse Darboe's candidature so far. You confused this and claimed
that Mr. Darboe was not exclusively selected by the UDP to lead the coalition. These are two different
things: The UDP announcement came before the announcement of the coalition. You claimed that this is gross
misrepresentation of the fact .However, you did not present any fact to refute what I have said, instead you
continued to speak for the NRP leader, even though I have transmitted a press release signed by the chairman
of the inter party meeting which made no mention of PDOIS, NRP or GDP. I am sure you must have known by now
that Assan Musa Camara has informed the nation that he will not register the GPP for the coming Presidential
and National Assembly elections. Which then is the other party ? I rely on facts to inform people what is
happening on the ground and you rely on second hand information to mislead the people in the L. Deception is
no longer possible! Your loyalties are very clear.
The only unfortunate thing is that you are neither a liberal nor a democrat. Everyone must toe your line
otherwise they are assisting the APRC. So all other opposition parties are assisting the APRC unless they
endorse the candidate you support. These are the types of democrats we have today. The people however, are
not asleep the truth shall set them free of deceptors one fine day.
Adama
The struggle to uplift human dignity continues!