GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:36:52 EDT
In a message dated 10/15/2001 8:21:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Would it ever
> be possible in the Gambia, that an elected leader becomes a President
> for its entire citizen, irrespective of political support? Is it ever
> being possible for an elected leader to reach out to his or her opponent
> for a sincere and meaningful dialogue to build a Government of national
> unity? Simple as some of these questions are, it is one of the most
> challenging phenomena to thriving democracies, the Gambia included.
>
> From the above points I tried to articulate with the nature of our
> political process, effective governance will become impossible.  For
> Gambia to come alive after the election and address the bread and butter
> issues important to most of the Gambian people in the rural areas, we
> will have to put the election behind and pursue a new phenomenon that is
> both development and government friendly. Elections are only relevant if
> they can help us peacefully elect a leader who will carve a direction
> for the Gambia with its entire people. The next government should
> immediately halt the divisive politics, end the election period and
> begin the period of governance.  A sincere reaching out to opposition
> members from the opposition to make them part of the new government will
> help end the election phase and introduce a new government of all it’s
> people.  The new leader should set the tone for a new government of all
> political parties, and reach out to supporters and non-supporters and
> reassure them that we are going to need all Gambians to build a future
> for our country. After the election has been decided, the election
> rhetoric and the fighting mood have to be left behind, and a new spirit
> of togetherness in order to tackle the mundane of governing.
>
> Like all people of this world, the farmer in Sandu, the zero-income
> earner in Palen and the petty trader in kiaf would like to see real
> improvement in their lives. They would like to have good shelter, an
> effective system to sell their yearly harvest, clean drinking water,
> food for their families and a reasonable access to medical care. It is
> not only a God given right for Americans, Germans, Japanese and the
> French to expect real work form their leadership and Governments. Most
> of us came to this part of the world to enjoy those rights and
> expectation that have become a God given right to the host countries.
> Everything I enjoy in the US, from shelter, employment, reasonable
> medical care, I would like to see my Sister in Dandimayo to have similar
> facilities and expectation. For that to happen, who ever the winner is
> come Friday, he is going to be the leader of one of the most backward
> country on the face of the earth, and it is going to take more that a
> miracle to bring about the aforementioned conditions. It is going to
> need a new thinking,  a bold creative way of doing business and a total
> support by all Gambians to address the plight of our nation. The Gambia
> [...]
Words of wisdom indeed Musa Jeng. These are  the concerns of our people and
country, and it is time for new leadership that is for all Gambians, and who
will see the purpose for their election, to formulate workable plans that
address the many and varied needs of all Gambians. The party affiliations
ideally should end the day after elections and a president for all Gambians
emerges. That is what a true leader is and that is the challenge that someone
worthy to be a leader aspires to attain.

Otherwise it is easy to be just a partisan leader who chooses where to spend
the hard earned money of all the people on only a few of their loyal
followers. Such a person is not a true leader, just a gang leader, and one
does not need the mandate of the people to be that.

Jabou Joh