GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:51:48 -0400
GLers
Most people in The Gambia including those higher up the political
food-chain will off-script liken the situation in the Gambia to that of
a bunch of grade schoolers whose bus is hijacked by a very unstable,
baseball-wielding fellow. The question is what do you do, and by  who?.
Would any kid dare jump on top of this fellow? Would the police try to
force the bus to crash? Who would be responsible for the many innocent
lives that may be harmed? or do you allow the jolly-ride to continue
until the bus runs out of juice or the guy gets worn out? In my opinion,
ordinary Gambians just like the grade schoolers should not be encouraged
to jump on him as someone would hurt. At the same time the police, in
their desire to get it over with force the bus to crash. The only viable
way forward is to negotiate. But then, who are those to negotiate and
for what? If Gambians in the diaspora are to be equated to those outside
the bus, we must then ask for many the Gambia democratic project leaders
to come together and consult those who have the knowledge as to how to
get everyone on the bus including the baseball-wielding fellow safely
off the bus.

Malanding Jaiteh