GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:34:09 GMT
Gambia-L:

As usual, the e-mail below has come from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima ceesay

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Massive "Arrests" and "Disappearances"
>Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:23:29 GMT

Hello Ebrima,

I can tell you that if we, as Gambians, do not quickly rescue our beloved
Nation from these criminals, then the consequences would be too serious for
all of us. Ebrima, this regime is just hell bent on destroying anything
"good" in the Gambia.

They've seized people's hard-earned properties and assets; they've detained
people wrongly; they've sacked people arbitrarily from their jobs; they've
killed innocent people. But all of this is not enough.  Ebrima, I can tell
you that this Jammeh regime is still determined to slaughter more Gambians.
In fact, they have prepared a "list" of the names of people they want to
"eliminate" before the next Presidential election. Anyway, as soon as I lay
hands on the "list", I'll send it to the L, through you.

Actually, the reason why I am writing this e-mail is because I have seen a
Press Release, which was intended to be issued to the Gambian Media by the
Government, but after a second thought, Yaya Jammeh was advised that that
Press Release should be withheld, because it didn't make any sense at all.
So, in the end, the press release was not issued because it was full of lies
which even a primary one pupil would have detected.

And guess what is on the Press release? No wonder, Ebrima, former
commissioner Kanteh fled the country, because, according to this press
release I saw, Alagie Kanteh was going to be accused of planning a coup
against Yaya Jammeh.

So commissioner Kanteh, after all, did the right thing by fleeing to
Dakar, Senegal, because Yaya Jammeh had already given instructions to the
soldiers who went to arrest him to "kill him" on the way to Banjul from
North Bank Division. Therefore, Kanteh has got every right reason to flee
the country.

Ebrima, according to this Press release being withheld, it was going to
disclose that five people had been "arrested" or more appropriately
kidnapped by the Yaya Jammeh thugs for their alleged involvement in a coup
which was at its planning stages. The chief "kidnapper" of Yaya  Jammeh,
these days, Momodou "Pika" Jallow, was instructed to kidnap Kanteh and his
group of alleged plotters. By the way, Momodou Pika is sometimes referred to
as "Mo".

Ebrima, these five persons are known to be missing and all of them were to
be accused, according to the press release withheld by the Government, of
planning a coup with Alagie Kanteh to overthrow the government of Yaya
Jammeh:

1. Lalo Jaiteh - former ADC to the President
2. Omar Darboe - Deputy Commander, State Guard
3  Ebrima Yarbo - GAMTEL (Transmission/Distribution Dept.)
4  Ebrima Barrow - civilian
5. Ebrima Marenah - civilian

Ebrima, I know you do not believe in this idea of tribalism going on in the
Gambia, but take it from me that it is in fact the order of day since Jammeh
came to power in 1994. Look at all the names of these five people arrested,
or kidnapped, and you'll discover for yourself that they are all Mandinkas.
Why?

And in addition to these five people, of course, is Mr Momodou "Dumo" Saho
who has also gone "missing". Anyway, Ebrima, I used my contacts in the
various security forces in the country and I can confirm to Anika (Dumo's
wife) that an order was indeed given to the NIA to arrest Dumo Saho. Momodou
Pika Jallow, who was also one of those thugs that kidnapped Shyngle Nyassi,
was instructed to arrest Dumo, according to my information.

And the BMW license number is known to all; the driver or the man in charge
of this operation is also known to all. He was being called "Mo". Ebrima,
this is none other than Momodou "PIKA" Jallow. Also, according to my contact
at the NIA, Dumo, for reasons only known to Yaya, was on the "list" of the
people targeted for "elimination".

And now they are thinking of cooking up a story that he (Dumo) too was named
by Lt Jaiteh, Kanteh and Co as being one of their sympathisers. What
rubbish! Ebrima, I know Dumo well, and I know that he is very sensible and
upright person. So he will never do what he is about to be accused of by
this brutal regime. Do you remember Baboucarr Saho, the goal keeper? Well,
Dumo is his brother. Anyway, we are all glad to see that the L has already
started the campaign to have Dumo released as soon as possible. His wife is
doing everything necessary to see the release of her husband.

On another issue, Buba Baldeh has (re)joined the APRC. He is now the Deputy
National Mobilizer of the APRC. What a shame! By the way, a serious tension
is also brewing between Yankuba and Edward, but I do not have time right
now. Next time, I'll mention it.