GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:31:35 -0700
Mr.Manneh,
you are right in your statement in which you stated i quot{Ebrima,i want to tell your secret informer that Yahya and his men cannot rig voting and counting process in the The Gambia due to the high level of transparerency and constant surillance mounted by all the political parties involved.}BUT he can rig the elections through many other forms, like some of the activities he played during both the last Presidential and National Assembly Elections.
 During both the said elections campaign UDP supporters were picked up and detained for days and weeks without any charge in violation of their rights.Sometimes even when when they are charged and brought before the courts of law and released by the courts they are re-arrested by the police purporting to act under one decree or another.
 September 16th,Siaka Sonko the chief security officer to the UDP leader Mr.Darboe together with Saney Sabally were arrested and detained at Farafenni police station and later transferred to the maximum security prison in Janjanbureh where they stayed for the rest of the election campaign.No reason was given for this act.Lamin Waa Juwara was picked up and detained at the maximum security prison of Janjanbureh throughout the campaign untill the elections when he was released.
 September 22nd,as the UDP leader was returning from a country wide tour his convoy was stopped at Denton Bridge and the people were made to descent from their vehicles.There followed the most hideous act of brutality members of the Gambia National Army using rifle butts and weapons attacked and beat the innocent UDP supporters.Late Sidia Sagnia the then senior Administrative Secretary of the Party and some others,sustained fracures and had to be hospitalised for days.Other victims of this act include Mr.Amadou sanneh,a member of the National Wxecutive,Mr.Abdou Gassama,presently a member of the National Assembly,and many others.Throughout the campaign UDP became targets of violent attacks by Jammeh and his supporters.
 During the campaign Jammeh's tours of the countryside,was always accompanied by a large military escort.Often with heavy weapons like antiaircraft guns in tow.It is not difficult to imgine the effect that such displays of overwhelming power -dubiously justified as necessary for the head of state's personal security would have on small Gambian villages.
 The worst military commissioners like Momodou Bojang- CRD,Momodou Badjie-URD made their total controlled over the traditional rural network of village headmen.Those suspected of less than total support for Jammeh's dictatorial regime were replaced by some pliant individuals.
 Jammeh's media policy,for instance,restricted open discussion of political matters.The national television specialized in undiluted praise for Jammeh and unadulterated attacks on anyone who appeared to be critic as unpatriotic.From the beginning,Jammeh showed extreme hostility toward the independent press which was suposed to give a fair coverage of the elections campaign.He used a number of strategies to harass and intimidate journalists.
 All the above mentioned activities were geared  towards rigging the elections.
 Even today as i am writing this piece,he rigging the elections because the UDP have been denied permit to go on about meeting the people at the grass root level and APRC ministers,commissioners,assistant commissioners,chiefs,alkalolu and the defunct 22nd July members are going around campaigning and intimidating UDP supporters.The main reason why Mr.Darboe was ambushed was mainly to intimidate UDP supporters in the Upper River Division by telling them that now you see that your boss is arrested therefore,if you don't distant your self from the opposition,we will do the same thing to you and nobody can do anything about it.This type of elections rigging is wost than the votes and counting regging.
 I know that Gabriel Robert did a very good job that's why he was removed.He was totally against the monopoly of the state media,sacking of opposition supporters and the arrest of member of the opposition.
Secondly,the french organisation-De la Rue who trained the PIEC personnel also did a good job.
 Mr.Manneh,you mentioned that Mr.Darboe lost in his home town,the reason for his losing was an open secret because CRD particularly the Bansang people were subjected to continuous harassment and torture.The station officer Kulu Gibba made so that the people either voted for Jammeh or suffered, that was the main reason why Mr.Darboe lost not because the people of the area dissapointed him.
 Finally the UDP never challenged the election results simply because we knew it was impossible to get the truth like my Jimara election petition.At that time with the random  sacking of judges and untill now the random  sacking of innocent magistrates and judges would have not worked.Chief Justice Omar Alghali was just a rubber stamp for justice to satisfied the dictator then why should we waste our time to challenge such a flawed justice.
 Once again i thank you for your pointing out to the UDP and other opposition parties to fight for free and fair campaign and equal media access.
Saihou