GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:37:29 +0000
Pa Modou, Jabou,

I must say that when I went to visit the Observer on Saturday, my initial
intention was to get the Friday edition. (Please note that it was not until
I read the paper in the late afternoon of Saturday that I stumbled into
Jabou's posting).When I was informed that the Friday version was not
available, I requested to see the Editor (who was unavailable)with the hope
of getting the issue.  However they were kind enough to let me know that
Sheriff Marong was in his office whom I proceeded to see.

After exchanging greetings and his usual questions about my son (they were
classmates at GHS), I brought up the issue and he was quite categorically
opposed to the practise which he characterised as unprofessional and
proceeded to promise that he was going to put a stop to it and to issue an
apology.  At least, articles will not appear to have been written by staff
of the paper and that sources will be idenfied and credits given to authors.

Personally, I am not opposed to local paper using my postings provided that
they are identified as such. Like you, I have had my postings used by local
papers and GRTS.  Infact, the initial reports of the ordeal of our National
Football Team in Bouake during the start of the political events in CI were
all based on materials I sent from Abidjan to both the L and Post. I never
objected. Quite frankly, it never occured to me to object knowing the work
environment that these reporters operate under with limited resources, not
to mention their level of professional training.

As stated in my previous posting, I have no reason to doubt the sincereity
of Sheriff Marong when he made his promise.  I hope that this matter will be
brought to a close as soon as possible.

Sidi Sanneh