GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:29:16 GMT
Ebrima,

You and your sources are preaching to the choir from this end, but I'm
really taken aback by this line "The government saw it fit to declare Mr
Burris Devaney,
champion of the University Extension Programme, persona non grata in the
country, because it suited their purposes to get him out of the way prior to
upgrading The Gambia College." This just shows what a bunch of snakes these
Yaya Jammeh gang is. And I can't believe that Therese Ndong won't put up a
fight for this man. Or maybe, she's behind his exile.

You see, shortly before I left "Therese Ndong's St. Peters," a Halifax, Nova
Scotia (Canada) High School team of 16 students (if I recall right)came
visiting. That visit, and the entire idea of "twinning" St. Peter's with the
Canadian school was Dr. Devaney's personal goal. Don't ask me why, but that
man had developed such a personal interest and passionate love for The
Gambia that was simply amazing. The story was, he had visited as a tourist
previously, fell in love with the people, and vowed to twin his school with
a Gambian school. HE then INITIATED the whole twinning arrangement. In his
short speak to us, he did say the trip "is a personal dream-come-true." I
have an indelible memory of that first visit, 'cause among other things, it
was the first time I addressed an entire school by delivering the Vote of
Thanks on behalf of St. Peter's. (The choice wasn't Therese's if you're
wondering.)

I understand that St. Peter's later benefitted emensely from that
arrangement: student exchanges, donation of school stationery and
equipments, scholarships etc. The University Extention Program was Borris
Devaney's brain child! He is the Canadian behind the "Canada" strings of the
program. So the fact that they dare declare such a person persona non grata,
goes to show you what a bunch of ungrateful, and totally selfish morons we
have "running" our country. I spoke to my grandmother almost exactly a year
ago, and two months before she passed away, and she informed me  that
"foreigners" are now running the country. Maybe she knows what she was
talking about...

Saul.