GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:25:38 +0200
Mr. Sidibeh,
thaks for the reminder about the US-help to Europe 1948-1953, the socalled
European Recovery Program.

Because  that is also a comment I made two years back on the Gambia-L, that
Africa needed a booster. For the african people and states to get to a
level, where they can use the fantastic potential inside the continent and
the people, it is my opinion, that they have a great need to get get out of
a situation that keep them in a state, where they can not get into a
positive circle, get to a level where they can negotiate us on equal terms.
Right now there are problems to produce food enough, even the land is there
and fertile, and the people is there to do the work. Many things looks like
a fight  "just to survive". (I know this is very very general)

To get over that hill or point I think that Africa (also very general, but
don´t misunderstand that I know some differences) needs a booster, a
Marshall-plan.

It is in our own interest here in Europe (The West) that Africa as a
continent can become a partner for us, like the East-Asia has been for many
years now. That was also what USA thought after 2.nd World war, that a
Europe in ruins was not in the interest of USA.

Those days Denmark was given  raw material, feeding stuff, grain as a gift
over the 5 years -period, which we could not buy due to lack of finance. And
we also got some machines to our industry but mostly to modernise our
farming. Over the 5 years a total value of 235 million $. And we got some
loans value 40 million $, 2 % interest.

Within short time we will see the worlds leaders come together in South
Africa to evaluate the 10 years after Rio. Those days in Rio the
western/rich countries promised within short to reach a level where we gave
0,6 % GNP to the "poorest" countries for development. Today we know that USA
f.in. has only reached 0,1 % and when they decided the big announced
"help/package to Africa" they got up to 0,14 %, but annonced it as was it a
revolution in american help. Most of the EU countries has not yet reached
the promissed level. My point is, that IF we did so, there was enough money
to make a new "Mashall-plan" towards Africa, give the continent a booster,
and if not for the people in Africa, so for our own benefit (if you are so
selfish).

So thank you for the reminder. It fit very well in when it comes to my own
idea of what we maybe should do from here.

And your comments on the Gambia should build on mixed economy is also what I
wrote some years back to the Gambia-l. The government should invest in
labour-intensive industry/production, eventually mixed with some private
enterprise. Some sort of the old-fashion scandinavian
social-democratic-ideology. (which our socialdemocrats are now running away
from, but that is another comment)

Regards Asbjørn Nordam