GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:04:07 +0000
I urge the Alternative leaders to continue to work together and not be
intimidated.  Please continue to fight for the release of Waa.  An injustice
to Waa is an injustice to all of us.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

As NDAM March Into 21st Century With Rekindled Optimism "We Will Not Submit
to Intimidation"

The Independent (Banjul)

PRESS RELEASE
October 10, 2003
Posted to the web October 13, 2003

Banjul

following the continuous detention of NDAM's Secretary General, Lamin Waa
Juwara, the external wing of the party in the diaspora, released a statement
condemning the action as outrageous and unjustifiable.

Below we reproduce the full text of the release:

As the old age goes: repression breeds resistance. The crises ridden
AFPRC-APRC in its terminal stage of comatose is trying their desperate best
to breath life into a system that has no support base among the people by
reawakening their monster of arrest, torture and indefinite detention
without charges or trial.

The writing is clearly on the wall; the decisive and vigorous resistance by
the Gambian people under the leadership of NDAM will not abate until FREEDOM
and LIBERATION come.

ON September 30, 2003, the notorious gang of thugs-National Intelligence
Agency (NIA) arrested Waa Juwara at his compound in Brikama and "charge" him
with seditious intentions based on an interview published in the Independent
newspaper, calling on the opposition parties to organise a peaceful
demonstration in protest against the miserable living conditions in the
Gambia.

For the past seventy- two hours, following Waa Juwara's detention, the three
"strong arms" of the state (NIA, police and the courts) exhibit the debt of
the crisis within the regime. This case is being handled like a hot potato
and neither "arm" of the state wants to get burn because of the absurdity of
the charges. It is quite obvious that the self-proclaimed emperor, Jammeh is
the puppeteer of the NIA, police and the courts to set an example for the
rest of us. But Jammeh is in for a rude awakening.

A bizarre episode took place on Friday October 3, 2003 as Juwara was
expecting to be released when events took a turn at Juwara's disfavor. The
police, obviously under instructions stalled the process of Juwara's
release. The police concocted a scenario of technicality, that by "law" they
can only detain an accused individual for seventy-two hours and if the
courts did not decide on the accused fate, he must be remanded to await
further proceedings. This is how Juwara ended in remand at the mile two
prisons.

To show how "things have fallen apart", that the "center cannot hold" and
that "mere anarchy is loose upon" Gambia, is when Borry Touray, the lawyer
for Juwara was refused access to his client after being remanded.

We are aware of their game and of their victory. For the record, an earlier
attempt to quiet Juwara and run NDAM asunder happened on February 20, 2003
surrounding the ban on "nawetan" (the seasonal soccer tournaments). He was
released forthwith because of the militant stance of our youth wing and
supporters. Conditions have changed for the worse since the last attempt,
now that the insecurity of the Jammeh regime has increased tenfold following
the coup d'etat in Guinea Bissau. This time they intend to make these
charges to bear weight on Juwara and NDAM.

But all these charges are grounded in air, a clear indication of the fall of
Jammeh regime; their well has run dry. We will continue to assert our
position, that NDAM has zero tolerance for the bullies and any intentions to
inflict harm by torture on Juwara, any NDAM member or for that matter any
Gambian will be met maximum retaliation.

Jammeh has abrogated every democratic right of the Gambian people with total
disregard for the "construction"; therefore Jammeh makes no laws that we are
bound to respect. The Gambian people have been overly patient with this
regime's feudal tendencies, it's time to take "POSITIVE ACTION" and arrest
Jammeh's madness.

NDAM is "sick and tired of being sick and tired" of Jammeh's tyranny,
therefore, we call on the great Gambian people to rise with NDAM and reclaim
our national dignity.

The AFPRC-APRC ship is on the brink about to sink, this is the moment to
withdraw your loyalties to Jammeh and join the Gambian people to build a
proud-future Gambia.

DARE TO INVENT THE FUTURE! UNTIL VICTORY ALWAYS! FREE WAA JAWARA! FREE DUMO
SAHO AND ALL PRISONERS OF CONSCIENCE!

Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with  MSN Messenger
6.0.  Try it now FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com