GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Muhammed Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:24:37 +0100
Muhammed Drammeh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:    Assalamu Alaikum
  In 1996 presidential election Darboe ran away to the Senegalese High Commission. He then claim that the NIA were after him. However we also need to remember that Darboe is a family man with two wives and children. He is both a father and a husband. Maybe he is even the breadwinner of his family.

  However more than one hundred thousand Gambian voters voted for him. Was it Darboe's responsibility to stand up those supporters or was it it his own life which was more important ?

  We must also remember that Darboe is a lawyer that The Gambians need. Thererfore, could it be argued that since he is highly educated and more likely to be educated than thousands of his supporters, there was a need for his life to be saved even at the expense of his supporters ?

  There are some who argued that he lack the courage that is required of a leader. People of this opinion feel this is a sign of weakness and a display absolute cowardice.

  Others are of the opinion that if one smell danger, one should run away and that there is no shame in running away. these are of the the opinion that family is more important than politics. These are of the opinion that if his family had lost him the UDP will have another leader but his family would have lost a father and a husband.

  There are others who contrast Darboe stance with the valour shown by Sedia Jatta and Halifa Sallah when the Foroyaa Newspaper was banned in 1994. Sedia Jatta and Halifa Sallah defended Foroyaa at a time when Sana Sabally was the Vice Chairman of the AFPRC regime. At that time everyone was scared of Sana Sabally.

  However there are others who claimed that at that time the only for Halifa Sallah was politics and that He was neither married nor had he got children. However Sedia Jatta was married and has three children. People of this opinion feel that Darboe should have taken a similar stance.

  There are some with a religious view that Darboe was right to run away because he was a practising Muslim and taking chances with one's life in a dangerous situation is like commiting suicide which is prohibited for a Muslim.

  There are also others with religious view who quote the portion of the verse in Surah Al Baqarah that " For persecution is worst than slaughter ". There are of the opinion that Darboe should have defended himself and not subject himself to a social humiliation.

  People have different opinion about this subject matter but it is a very difficult subject. I had received contrtibutions from so many people, some of whom have sent me mails privately. There are some who wants me to foward their mail to the Gambia L but because of the kind of names used I then suspect that there are some trying to hide their identity. However I still respect them for it is their human right not to disclose their identities.

  While I anticipate your contribution on this subject I hope most of your opinion will be unbiased and objective
  Until I hear from you all
  I am still the same
  Drammeh

    Muhammad Bai Drammeh Bin Alhagie Sheihu Muhammad Lamin Drammeh Bin Muhammad Kanday Drammeh bin Muhammad Kissima Drammeh bin Foday Drammeh