GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:15:11 +0000
 --- Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Suffice  to say that Jammeh is genuinely popular here
and the  police-state atmosphere  I expected is not
the case.  Gambians, despite,  economic hardship are
still  very kind and loving.  A lot of private
construction  is taking place and the  coastal road
network, among others, is impressive.

Folks

This in no way indicates anything to bother us about.
The likes of KB and Others should be reminded of the
fact that it is VERY VERY easy for someone to come
here and say all is well due to the  "dormant
activities" of the NIA and other security forces. I
was in the Gambia for almost 6 weeks. During that
period, I heard of little incidents of unlawful
arrests and detention(Notwithstanding Dumo's detention
at Mile II) However, I still felt that that the
situation would have been different if UDP had decided
to participate in the National Assembly Elections.  As
a result, I am relucatnt to think that the
police-state atmosphere doesn't exist in the Gambia.
It does have its period, Dr Saine would have realised
it if he visited the Gambia during the campaign period
of the Presidential Elections

Coming to the Coastal Roads, other construction
projects, I entirely agree with Dr Saine, however,
this is not the end of story; the level of poverty in
the Gambia is still course for concern. Our Local
currency's value is depreciating everyweek. I am now
told that the pound could be sold at D27.00.Two years
ago, the pound was bought at D20. In fact , in
December 1994, the pound was sold at D16.00. I say no
more about the depreciating currency, you judge for
yourself.

Finally, Jammeh's popularity, Whilst he happens to be
enjoying some support. I am not hasten to think that
that this is genuine.   There are so many people who
have decided to express their support either orally or
verbally in the hope of receiving Jammeh's patronage.
From my observation, most of these so called supprters
of APRC are not genuine, it is part of the politics of
survival; Support Jammeh now or else face the
consequences.  If Dr Saine's think President Jammeh is
popular, then let remind him of the pre Presidential
Election-we all heard about the unofficial  nomination
of President Jammeh by the respective Area Councils
through its Council of Elders. What actually happened
at the Upper River Division. despite the hyped-up
nomination ceremony led by Alhaji Banta Camara and the
so call Council of Elders for that division, they lost
4 out 7 seats to Ousainou Darboe in the October
Presidential Elections. I am however inclined to say
that Jammeh is just enjoying a honeymoon period, just
wait when this period ceases.

Just a thought no hard feeling

Sanusi Owens