GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:46:02 GMT
Foroyaa,

This letter couldn't have been written at a better time, and the paragraph:
"We hope that Gambians will not take this matter from a narrow nationalist
perspective. Over the years, even foreign investors have been provided the
opportunity to acquire Gambian citizenship. Gambians, with children abroad,
have found it easy for their children to acquire the citizenship of European
countries, the United States and others. It is amazing that Africans, who
have children in other African countries, find it difficult to have those
children accepted as citizens of such countries. It is time for Gambians to
take a decision on this issue" is very apt. I totally concur with the
sentiments expressed here.

It would really help us as a people to keep politics out of many things
including this one. The persecution of The Independent journalists as
"aliens" has absolutely nothing to do with enforcing our immigration laws.
Rather, it's a sinister ploy to clamp down on a stubborn duo who won't "tow
the line." And this is really tragic considering the tremendous contribution
"foreigners" from Senegal, Guinea Conakry (especially,)and Mali have made to
the Gambia's little progress. Can you imagine the Gambia without these
people? What the law enforcement people need to do is to concentrate on
strangers who engage in criminal activities. But, otherwise, I simply fail
to see how the Gambia is being helped or "protected" by the harassment of
decent people who's only crime is to have been born elsewhere in West
Africa. This is just another sick policy of this criminal government.

Saul.