GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 15:08:45 -0800
              BY JUSTICE SAM

Reports circulating in Banjul and its surrounding areas hinted about the
arrest of Edward Singhateh, Baboucarr Jatta, Secretary of State for the
Interior and Lang Tombong Tamba, the number two man heading Gambia's armed
forces. Messrs Singhateh, Jatta  and Tamba were briefly interrogated
yesterday by Gambia's intelligence officials amidst reports of an an
alleged  coup plot being investigated by security officials. Our sources
say statements were obtained from these individuals prior to their
release.

Highly placed and credible sources at the state house in Banjul,  say the
questioning of the four named individuals was part of the routine arrest
of security personnel in the country,  as information reached the head of
state that there was growing discontent in the army, as some soldiers have
vowed  to take issues with his government. Our sources say some
disgruntled GNA soldiers who served  as  peace keepers in troubled region
of Sudan were yet to be paid their entitlements by the state

The ALLGAMBIAN also gathered that  army officer Peter Singhateh, who led
the Gambian contingent to dafur is placed on surveillance,  since his
arrival. In fact one report say, Peter was briefly questioned by
intelligence officials  on allegations that he recruited some soldiers to
topple Jammeh's regime, which Singhateh flatly denies.

Our sources say the arrest of  Edward Singhateh,  Baboucarr  Jatta, and
Lang Tombong Tamba is  being downplayed by the regime in fear of  what
state house sources described as "the security implications of such
arrests. They were just invited for questioning to clarify some issues of
National Security. The investigations are still going on."said our source
who spoke on conditions of anonymity.

Meanwhile,  our sources say following  reports of the said alleged coup
plot, The GAF command in Banjul had given  instructions for security stand
by through out the country.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい