GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 02:04:07 +0000
  INDEPENDENT OBSERVER, NEWS MEDIA NETWORK

  AS LAWYER DARBOE RECONSIDERS RESIGNATION, NADD EXECUTIVE ASKS FOR APOLOGY-YANKUBA TOURAY BEGINS  PROVINCIAL TOUR

                                BY Ebrima G Sankareh & Pa Nderry M'Bai

  Serekunda, KMC-Late this afternoon, NADD's scheduled nomination came to a sudden halt following an appeal by some UDP Executive members apparently disgruntled over lawyer Darboe's resignation copied to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC).

       The group prevailed on the NADD Executive to give dialogue a last minute chance. "Not everyone agrees with lawyer Darboe's letter, we want to sit with Ousainou one more time and we have hope that the results will not be fruitless", our source quoted one of the UDP appellants. After intense negotiations, the NADD Executive agreed yet again, to suspend their elections/nominations proceedings on condition that not only will Darboe, rescind, but also apologise to his colleagues.The UDP group noted NADD'S demands and promised  that all that, will be accommodated.

       In a related development, NRP's Hamat Bah, who was recently accused of "flip flopping" surprised all pessimists when he reiterated his unconditional support for NADD. Like the UDP conclave that converged at today's meeting, Bah too said he was optimistic, that he possess the political wherewithal to convince lawyer Darboe to return to the negotiating table. The next meeting is scheduled for Saturday, February 11Th., 2006.

       Amazingly, while efforts are under foot to convince Darboe to compromise with NADD in the raging leadership issue, the APRC's propagandist and Agriculture Secretary Yankuba  Cabinet Touray, takes off on a provincial tour Saturday morning. Whether by design or  by co-incidence, Mr.Touray's provincial tour will no doubt cast a political spell on the uncertainty looming large over NADD's leadership crisis. We shall keep our readers posted.