GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:05:10 -0500
Kabir:

Many thanks for your well argued response.  The concerns you raised are
important.  However, the very nature of the issue under
discussion(covert military activity) does not lend itself to collecting
easily verifiable information. We must as a result work with incomplete
information/data and modify our conclusions according to new data.

Covert/clandestine military activity against a democratically elected
government will seldom be admitted to by states that sponsor or those so
sponsored. Granted you spoke to Kukoi's right hand man and that no
evidence in Kukoi's recovered brief case suggested a link to Libya.  But
these do not constitute primary data, at least as of now.  Thus, the
sources you cite are anecdotal/circumstantial at best. The benchmark for
primary data is higher.  There is no argument here.

Regarding Chester Crocker, I know his work well, his activities in
Africa and the context within which events in Angola, South Africa etc.,
took place. But must we dismiss his views and data just because he is
conservative?  Crocker's data have been confirmed and verified by others
to be good and plausible.  And I believe it is good data regardless of
his political leanings.  In fact, his data, however tainted, may be
better that our respective data combined.

Your interest in "correct" cataloguing of historical events" is
admirable, but it presupposes that you know and everyone knows the
"correct" data.  It also assumes that their is only one "correct"
version to the events of 1981 and the one you know is the "correct"
version.  Well, I can not make such a claim as I do not have complete
data/information.  Yet, the little we have point to Libyan involvement.
Until others, you or I come up with more compelling data, I will hold
this to be true.

Kabir, some historical events will always be contested and rightly so.
And this is very good for research.  Often, several narratives/versions
of an issue exist. For instance, did the Republicans in the USA steal
the 2000 presidential election or did George W. Bush win legitimately?
We are unlikely to know the answer to this question until future
researchers and the media look into it. We may not have to wait long for
an answer.

The spirit in which you have contested the 1981 issue is very healthy.
Yet, we must live with this (untenable) ambiguity until we have more of
the information to disprove or confirm my position.

And as you noted in your concluding paragraph, "this is one chapter that
is still open and I hope that one day all the facts about July '81 will
be known."  No argument here.  My sentiments exactly!  Thanks for the
discussion.

Regards,

Abdoulaye