GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:14:42 EDT
In a message dated 4/15/2001 5:09:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 Letter To The President: A Tragedy Should Teach A Lesson To The Wise
 A government which is fit to lead a sovereign people is one which is
 committed to principles, standards and values aimed at safeguarding and
 enlarging the dignity and worth of our people. A personality whose only
 vision is to acquire and retain power and whose only mission is how to
 acquire and retain power by any means can only sow the seed of political
 decadence in a nation. The ramification of this is the display of utter
 disregard for the dignity and worth of the sovereign Gambian people.
 Mr. president history is calling on your government to take charge of the
 security machine of this country and give responsibility to those who can
 distinguish anti government emotional out bursts from actual security
 threats, law enforcement concerns from concerns operating to the security of
 the state. Arrest utilised as instrument of coercion to suppress opinion can
 never promote the integrity of a government on the contrary, it robs a
 government of public confidence and outrages the conscience of all decent
 citizens of a sovereign republic.
 Mr. President, April 10 was established as remembrance day by GAMSU. The
 Chairman of the symposium held to draw lessons from the incident declared
 the day as one for mourning, prayer, fasting and reflection. Security forces
 accompanied the students during their march. Intelligence and plain clothes
 security personnel were present throughout the symposium. People spoke their
 mind freely. The students reminded each other the significance of the day
 and called upon the government to be true to its words. When Alhagie
 Nyabally made his criticism his colleagues intervened and every body in the
 hall could see that the organisers behaved with immense maturity without
 giving any iota of indication that they were engaged in a state managed
 activity. Every speaker spoke with sincerity. Divergent views were expressed
 and the people present accepted the views that were clearer to them. There
 was no clapping, no applause and no rousing of emotion of the whole exercise
 served as the basis for reflection. Every one left the hall to go home
 feeling that all had gained some food for thought in order to nourish the
 minds groomed for sober reflection.
 It is now clear that there were people in the hall who were not in tune with
 the noble vision and mission of the day; people who are committed to
 combating the opinions they disagree with by the power of reason but aim to
 stifle opinion through methods of coercion. Such people can only succeed in
 discrediting a government. Coercive measures can only alienate. It creates
 uncertainty and discomfort.
 What do we mean?
 Mr. President, the crowd dispersed from GTTI before 2 pm. Mr. Nyabally's
 colleagues claimed that they saw some people talking to him as he rode his
 bicycle to leave GTTI.
 They claimed that since the organisers and security forces congratulated
 each other for making the remembrance day a reality few suspected that any
 arrest will follow the incident. All those observers who attended the
 symposium whose heart beat in unison with the heart beats of the just and
 humane must have left the hall with a new spirit and commitment to reawaken
 the conscience of the nation. Even though, Alhagie allowed his heart to
 speak without just as it felt his colleagues were able to inspire him to
 temper his words to suit the circumstances. Every competent observer could
 see that the students were most organised and no one was allowed to stray
 from the cause of giving their departed colleagues  feeling remembrance. The
 authority of the chair was given utmost respect without any equivocation.
 The whole society became inspired by the maturity displayed by the students
 and there was renewed hope that students unionism would not continue to be
 seen as a pretext for hooliganism by the authorities. It was anticipated
 that the maturity displayed by the students will be recognised and their
 representative institutions respected as the embryo of representative
 institutions at the national levels.
 Mr. President, few students would have expected that after such a sober
 reflection at the symposium, Alhagie Nyabally would disappear for almost
 three days. Reports received by us indicated that at about 5.30 pm on
 Tuesday 10 April no one had trace of him. We contacted the police and they
 gave assurance that he was not under their custody. The NIA was contacted
 and the Director promised to conduct an investigation. Eventually, we
 received information that he was released. He is yet to fully reveale what
 transpired after his arrest to the press. It is however necessary to convey
 to you what is known so far so that you can intervene with immediacy to
 arrest these coercive interventions. The constitution states categorically
 that the authority of government should be exercised to promote the general
 welfare of the people. This imposes on you the burden of establishing
 institutions, standards and practices which are reasonable and justifiable
 in a democratic society. In a civilised society opinions are fought with
 opinions. The power of reason is utilised to combat what is deemed
 unreasonable and unjustifiable. A mature leadership must engage the people
 it leads to teach decency through decent conduct. It strives to earn respect
 by decent conduct and power of reasoning not by coercion and might.
 It is therefore absolutely essential for the government to recognise that
 interest groups such as unions and other associations are instruments for
 the articulation of collective concerns. In any democratic society such
 civil society organisations should be encouraged to provide information for
 the decision making process of policy makers.
 You are duty bound to make it a policy for the security chiefs to be alerted
 of the arrest of any member of GAMSU leadership so that they can discuss and
 advise each other what to do to prevent any unnecessary harassment. The
 GAMSU leadership need the protection of law. The government has the duty to
 offer such protection.
 History is taking evidence. It will distinguish facts from fiction. It will
 pass its judgment based on facts. Power is borrowed from the people and must
 be given back to them. Those who exercise it to promote the general welfare
 of the people will always be absolved by history. Those who utilised it to
 spread pain, misery and mischief shall always be indicted. History will not
 absolve such people. You have a choice to make while you are at the helm.
 The way to avoid the mistakes of the past is to learn from the lessons
 derived from them.
 For the Central Committee

 Voices From The Graves: The Speeches On Remembrance Day April 10
 The Gambia Students Union organised a symposium for reflection on the
 tragedy of April 10th and 11th. Halifa Sallah addressed the students on the
 lessons of the tragedy and the way forward as well students and the law. Mr.
 Ousman Sillah who was reported ill could not address the gathering on the
 subject ''student and the law''. FOROYAA will feature the speeches of the
 vice president of the union, Mr. Alhagie Darboe, Mr. Halifa Sallah, the
 guest speaker, the chairman of the occasion, Mr. Besenty Gomez, president of
 the Student Union, University of the Gambia, Ousman Bah, acting vice
 president, Alhagie Camara Information Secretary. FOORYAA will begin by
 publishing the speech of Alhagie Darboe vice president of GAMSU.
 Alhagie Darboe's Speech At The Symposium
 I seize this opportunity on behalf of our President, Mr. Omar Joof, who is
 not with us, to commemorate this day and therefore on his behalf. I have the
 honour and pleasure to give the Keynote address on behalf of the executive
 of the Gambia students' Union an on behalf of the entire student body.
 Students of the Gambia, the nation at large, today is April 10th , one year
 when the following colleagues of ours and indeed others were shot down dead
 by live bullets apparently fired by security officers or died as a result of
 inhuman treatment in some cases. I cannot go on with my speech without once
 again trying to recall my memory on the departed souls.
 Baboucarr Badjie from Tallinding, Wuyeh Foday Mansally, Tallinding Islamic
 Institute; Momodou Lamin Chune, Latrikunda Junior Secondary School; Momodou
 Lamin Njie of GTTI, Callisco Priera of New Jeshwang; Karamo Barrow, ICE;
 Reginald Carrol, Fumi Institute; Lamin A. Bojang, Nusrat; Ousman Sabally,
 Brikamaba; Sainey Nyabally, Brikamaba, Bamba Jobarteh from Bansang who died
 two weeks after the incidents a result of inhuman treatment he encountered
 at Janjangbureh; Abdoulie Sanyang, OldJeshwang; Omar Barrow, Journalist and
 Red Cross volunteer; unknown teenager from Brikama; may their souls rest in
 perfect peace.
 The day being considered as the bloodiest day in the history of the Gambia
 may be important to be honoured if not at state level but at our level as
 GAMSU. Thus, we are gathered here to represent the entire  student body to
 commemorate the killing of our brothers. The commemoration is not meant to
 get the bereaved families and indeed the entire nation in tears as we
 remember the loved ones to give the honour our colleagues deserve, moan
 their untimely death and pray for their souls to live in perfect peace. As
 we reflect our minds on these parish souls it is important we reflect our
 minds on all those who have sustained injuries physically or emotionally.
 It was on this very day last year students in most parts of Greater Banjul
 had undergone experience of traumatic nature that is characterised to be so
 inhuman. As we remember and we also reflect our minds on these beloved
 colleagues we also should seize the opportunity to reflect our minds still
 on those who are hospitalised. We always wish them speedy recovery, though
 it is hard for them to do that.
 It would not do justice if GAMSU should be commemorating this day to
 remember how our colleagues were gunned down; who our colleagues were
 departed from us; without putting a statement or a word or two on the
 outcome of the commission of enquiry. We can all remember soon after the
 incident, a commission of inquiry was put in place soon in May that was
 assigned to look into the circumstances surrounding the incident and to
 submit a report. It was in the month April also after the inauguration of
 the members of the commission of inquiry that the executive members of the
 Gambia Students' Union were called on to Kanilai.
 I will not try to say here anything that had happened. As I speak I don't
 only count that I speak only to the people that are here present. I feel I
 am speaking to the entire nation and therefore I owe it to find myself to
 speak nothing but the truth.
 Now, after that he ( the President) added; "Now that a commission is in
 place, I don't want to do anything or I will not do anything until the
 commission finish their work". And he asked whether we would all agree and
 wait until the commission finish their work job and not to  involve
 ourselves in any other activity.
 As at then there was a rumour of another planned demonstration which we did
 our level best  to make sure it did not materialise. We told him, yes we are
 quite willing to wait for the outcome of the commission and he promised to
 act on the outcome of the commission. I must say I took the President very
 seriously on his words. He is a man of his words and therefore I expect the
 President to act on the outcome of the commission. Four months after the
 report was submitted and the action of the government was indeed
 disappointing.
 Yes, it was meant for reconciliation. I agree we should reconcile but I must
 add that we should reconcile when justice is done. There is a need for
 justice not only to be done but must be seen to be done. Then people will be
 in a position to serve that idea of reconciliation. But here trying to
 balance for the shake of reconciliation. I am saying inequation cannot be
 taken as equation and if you want to balance inequation as equation. It is
 mathematically wrong.
 The stand of GAMSU  We have always loved to be law abiding. People make
 their reactions, everything was said but you want to be law abiding. Our
 stand is we are still knocking at the door for justice not to be put in
 communicado. It has to come out. The incident cannot be put under cover.
 Here we have history as the judge until the culprits are brought to book.
 Again the commission made recommendations.  Most of them were rejected. Some
 were accepted such as the compensation for the deaths and the injured. Up to
 now at our executive level I am not aware of any compensation going on and I
 am not aware of any development towards that compensation.
 We are therefore calling on the authorities to consider compensating the
 dead and injured. And we are also calling on the family of the deceased to
 come out and give the names of all those have encountered injuries or all
 those who passed away during the course so that this can be drawn to the
 attention of the authorities to compensate the injured and the dead.
 On Reconciliation There is a need for us to reconcile but here it is very
 frustrating. I must commend certain institutions for opening their doors to
 GAMSU for that spirit of dialogue to flourish, particularly the police
 institution. But here also I must also call on our partners the Education
 Department to please consider GAMSU as a partner, otherwise what you hope to
 avoid, that is, the recurrence of such incidents may not be achieved. The
 example to this is the tragedy that happened just last week. Students are
 disassociated completely from matters that have to do with students. It
 would not tell well.
 Let us all come together we try and put our things in place. But if we are
 isolated, we are disassociated, that can be dangerous. It will not tell
 well. Please consider GAMSU as a partner in development.
 The growing number of problems in schools, may be doors are closed to us and
 we are appealing for doors to be open to try our level best to make sure
 that for....under common understanding is injected in all the students at
 all the schools so as to minimise problems.
 Before ending my Keynote address I would not do justice if we fail to
 congratulate the lawyers that have been standing for GAMSU since when the
 incident happened and therefore on behalf of the students and the entire
 executive. I want to commend the lawyers for their effort that they have
 done to see that justice is done not only in the case of the student leaders
 but also  our parted  brothers, our brothers that have gone away. In this
 regard, I now take the opportunity finally on behalf of the executive to
 express our heartfelt condolence once again to families of the bereaved and
 we wish our loved ones, may their souls rest in perfect peace, Amin

 An International Organisation To End Brain Drain
 An international organisation supported by the French and Canadian
 governments has been formed which is aimed at encouraging African
 intellectuals whose brains are "drained" to serve Europe to come to come
 back to Africa assist the continent to overcome its setbacks.
 This leads us to question whether the problem of development in Africa is
 just a problem of human power, structural institutional system oriented.
 There are many African intellectuals who become ministers of Finance in
 their countries and later join the World Bank or IMF as international civil
 servants. A number of African Presidents have worked in the UN, and the
 World Bank or IMF before assuming office. Despite all this the problem of
 the continent continues to deepen and its culture of dependency continues to
 rise.
 Culture Of Dependency
 We live in an unequal world, unequal opportunity, unequal access to income
 and unequal access to consumer goods. While authorities make distractions
 with regards to citizens they make little distinction with regards to the
 search for profit. Multinational corporations can be found in the Delta
 region are reaped and only pipelines and polluted environment are left
 behind.
 Since independence which had a Pan African agenda and called for an African
 Central Bank to facilitate  the continental mobilisation of resources for
 investment just like the World Bank and the IMF were sabotaged and their
 visions deemed unworkable. However, today, a World Bank contribution can
 boast of finance of almost 300 billion which came from interest on loans.
 In Africa we are left with leaders like Abacha who has billions of dollars
 and pounds in Banks in Britain, Switzerland etc. instead of depositing them
 into an African Central bank to facilitate Africa's development by Africa's
 financial resources. Many analysts maintain that Africa's problem is
 political, institutional, structural, human resources and system oriented.
 The availability of human resources alone does not lead to the eradication
 of underdevelopment.
 The Current State Of Africa's Underdevelopment
 The failure to address the structural imbalance and the system of the
 production inherited from colonialism kept Africa to be a producer of cheap
 primary raw materials and importer of expensive manufactured goods and
 technology. Capital formations continued to be externally appropriated. The
 flight of capital leaves African countries without industrial or processing
 industries.
 Investment objectives of the multinationals are simply to exploit cheap
 sources of labour in pursuit of maximum profit and least cost on labour
 power. Consequently jobs are not only scarce in Africa the wages are also
 extremely poor. Herein lies the principal reason for the brain drain as the
 African elites look for greener pastures.  Infact in a situation where
 governments are not committed to the reconstitution of African economics
 many Africans with knowledge and skills find themselves under utilised and
 poorly remunerated. Hence they neither achieve personal or national
 development. Their creative activities simply go to waste.
 To many analysts such person can do better in getting higher incomes abroad
 and invest it at home than to stay in Africa and live in poverty. This does
 not mean that this is a solution.  It means that sometimes it serves as the
 best of the unsustainable and where Africa's resources are drained abroad,
 African brains sold abroad do serve to make them invest in Africa the higher
 income. Unless the vicious cycle imbalance is broken the agenda to end the
 brain drain would be more wishful thinking. The real task is how to end the
 financial drain through interest and debt repayment and the unequal trade.
 Subsaharan Africa has 33 out of the 48 nations which are classified as least
 developed countries. The Jubilee 2000 coalition has raised these issues and
 had handed a petition signed by 22 million people world wide to the UN
 Secretary General, Kofi Annan.
 Despite the Toronto, London, Lyon, Naples and Cologne plans and the highly
 indebted poor countries initiatives, Africa's debt burden continue to rise
 and her terms of trade continue to deteriorate as a result of internal and
 external factors.
 Statistics being circulated in documents derived from the Conference on
 African and the Third World Debt held in Dakar from 11 to 17 December, 2000
 indicate that between 1988 and 1999 African debt has increased by $65.1
 billion of which only $21.4 billion is new money. It is estimated that
 during that period, the continent has paid as debt service a sum of $145
 billion. It is estimated that the amount constitute a ''seven times the
 amount received from developed countries and multilateral institutions.
 According to the statistics extracted from UNESCO's finding 42 million
 African children are deprived of education. Since countries are finding it
 impossible to service and repay the debts rescheduling is now the norm. For
 example Senegal has rescheduled its debt repayments about 12 times between
 1980 to 1995
 The Gambia with a debt burden of over 8000 million dalasi now pays the
 equivalent of its health, education, agriculture and Works and Communication
 budget combined to service and repay her debts. In 2000, the country paid
 390 million on debt servicing. In 2001, it is estimated that 414 million
 will be paid on debt servicing.
 We must address the debt burden and the deteriorating terms of trade of the
 African countries internally and externally before the inequalities in the
 world is reduced and the brain drain in search of greener pastures
 addressed. The solution to the brain drain is linked to the eradication of
 the very inequalities and unfairness in trade, monetary policies and debt
 arrangements that are internally motivated by corrupt practices and
 inappropriate policies and externally motivated by monopolistic and
 sophisticated protectionist policies under the guise of quality products and
 patent laws to prevent countries from reinventing what is deem to have been
 invented

 Rice Growers Society Of Bansang, Bantanto And Dobong Kunda On
 Rice Milling Machine
 The report states that the rice growers society of Bansang, Bantanto and
 Dobong Kunda were promised a rice milling machine by ROC Technical mission.
 The farmers secured a building for the machine and were waiting for the
 machine.
 According to the report, Mr. Chin had been asked about the milling machine
 and he had made it abundantly clear that the machine is for the rice growers
 society and not just for a particular individual.
 The report has it that the machine is yet to be available; that they had
 made enquiries from the authorities and were told that the availability of
 the machine was linked to increases in the repayment of loans by farmers.
 The members of the society cannot understand the link between a gift from
 ROC and loan repayment; that they can understand other conditionalities
 which will affect individuals who fail to repay loans and not subject
 everyone to collective punishment.
 FOROYAA will contact the authorities of the Integrated Rice Development
 Project, the SoS for Agriculture and the ROC Embassy for further
 clarification.