GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:35:24 -0400
We Are Not a Beggar Nation, Hamat Bah Tells Taiwanese Parliamentarians

The Independent (Banjul)

August 25, 2000

Banjul

National Reconciliation Party leader and National Assembly member for Upper
Saloum, Hamat Bah, Sunday told visiting Taiwanese parliamentarians that 'The
Gambia is not a beggar nation' and instead has a lot to offer both nationally
and internationally.

Addressing the seven-man parliamentary delegation from Taiwan led by Mrs. Chu
Feng Lee at the National Assembly, Hamat Bah, informed the parliamentarians that
it was important that the new government of Taiwan adjusts on its foreign policy
and that in as much as they need to make friends, such friendships should not be
based on gifts alone as 'dollar diplomacy does not survive.' He added that
Gambians have a 'special feeling and spirit' for the Taiwanese people and urged
the new government of Taiwan to be more transparent and as open as possible in
its dealings with government.

'We have seen many development projects in this country that have not even
featured in the development estimate of our annual budgets and we would have
loved to see these things featured as other partners are doing with The Gambia,'
he emphasised. Mr. Bah said such issues have been raised in the National
Assembly many a time and hoped that future relations would now be characterised
and guided by 'accountability, transparency, and probity' in the interest of
both countries.

'Your dealings should not interfere directly in the political activities of this
country at our local and national level,' he said. Mr. Bah told the ROC
parliamentarians that that Sunday was the first time it was officially confirmed
by majority leader Tamsir Jallow that contrary to the impression given by the
president, the tractors recently donated to farmers were from the Taiwanese
government to the government of The Gambia and not personally bought by
President Jammeh.

Hamat Bah commended the ROC's embassy staff in The Gambia for their hardwork in
various development projects. Speaking earlier, majority leader Tamsir Jallow
said that The Gambia appreciates very much the assistance rendered by the ROC.

He said 'we are glad that only a few weeks ago, the president was pleased to
distribute contribution that came from the ROC in the form of tractors together
with other agricultural accessories that farmers have hailed and welcomed.'
Minority leader Kemeseng Jammeh said the ROC's having for the first time a
president that comes from the opposition was a victory for opposition parties.
'In fact that is a glaring indication that there is a vibrant democracy
indicated in the composition in the team,' he added.

Sidia Jatta, National Assembly member for Wuli remarked that 'friendship of the
type that exists between the ROC and The Gambia is an 'essential prerequisite
for the establishment of peace and stability in our troubled world' adding that
'such friendship must be characterised by mutual respect and mutual
interdependence.' He noted that The Gambia has 'a great potential to give help;
it is just a question of tapping it.' The Taiwanese delegation acknowledged that
any opposition party can become a ruling party and that the concern expressed by
the opposition in terms of transparency will be tabled at a congress of their
foreign affairs committee to ensure that all assistance and agreements are
reported to the National Assembly. They also asked The Gambia to continue
helping them gain recognition at the United Nations.