GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:51:39 EST
Tombong,

For once, I have to agree with you. This lack of strong conviction to believe
in something and stay the course is the very reason why we as a people will
not get far until we change this tendency, and I wonder if that will ever
happen.
What you have described is called a "survival tactic" and it is the most
disgusting habit a human being can have.  The wollof describe it as a fly
tendency, they go to anywhere there is something sweet.
In addition, it is also the very same tendency that makes supposedly
intelligent people put on blinders and trade human decency for personal gain, and so
they label clearly tyrannical regimes as being what is best for our country.
To believe strongly in one's convictions and fight for it even in the face of
fear of loss of one's life, wealth and freedom is what it takes to liberate a
people from tyranny.

However, I wonder if the Jammeh loyalists would also stay the course after
this regime falls, or will those who get unfair advantage and whose wallets are
getting fat at the expense of their compatriots also start squirming to keep
what they are accustomed to.
If one looks closely, there are a lot of people playing this game you
describe, it is just that some can mask it a little better than others.
Since we are making observations, I think it would also be fair to note
another observation, which is that those who have received the boot and are still
inside the country, whether they are able to connect to other resources from
the powers that be or not, tend to also be the ones who continue to profess
their loyalty but perhaps there is honour even among thieves so that even among
these, there are the ones who consider themselves more honouraboe that others.

The most notable observation however is that there is still a marked and
unmistakable difference between right and wrong, moral and immoral, freedom and
tyranny and those, like East and West shall never meet and can never be
synonimous. I pray that all Gambians will be able to tap into their innermost selves
where God has endowed every one of his creation to recognize these noble
atributes and hopefully abide by them.

Jabou Joh