GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 21:48:05 EDT
Mr. Jaiteh,

I understand very well the cognitive dissonance that some of these socalled
'intellectuals' or shall I say "pseudo-intellectuals" generate in most of
our minds.  I remember one Father Murphy at St Augustine's High School use
to tell me that being 'educated' does not in anyway equate to intelligence.
Infact he asserted that the most intelligent person he has ever met in his
life was an 'uneducated' farmer up-country.  I cannot agree with him any
less.  Credentials never never measure any kind of intellectual power, they
can only indicate the level of academic achievement or some kind of
proficiency in a specific skill.
I happen to know personally most of the 'doctors' you mention in your
list... but I would suggest for you to just think a little deeper on the
commentaries of Dr. Sedat Jobe and Dr Saja Taal, and try to fathom their
personalities.  If you substract the 'doctrate' from their names, and ignore
the turgid language they often use to intimidate the press,  you will
realize how empty they are.  Trust me every word they say is absolute
nonsense. No wonder Yaya Jammeh wants to call himself another "doctor".
Finally I think it is about time for us to know that credentialism has
absolutely no bearing on the quality of leadership.  In fact the greatest
leaders in history on average have no advance academic degrees.  Leadership
requires two important character traits i.e. integrity and vision.
Integrity to lead by example, as depicted by Sidia Jatta and Halifa Sallah;
and vision to inspire a people for generations as shown by the examples of
Kemal Attaturk of Turkey, and the late Captain Thomas Sankara of Burkina
Faso.  These people are far superior by intelligence quotient to the
arrogant 'doctors' in the likes of Sedat Jobe, Saja Taal, Yaya Jammeh, and
the rest.

Greetings

Ebou Jallow