GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:50:04 +0200
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>

> Mr. Njie,
>
> This is one hell of a piece! Your forensic analysis of Jammeh and his
> cronies is superb. I was the first to endorse Katim's proposal of a deal
> that would see Jammeh handing over power. But after reading this piece, I
> agree with you that that proposal is at best very utopian. We just need to
> accelerate our attacks on this criminal govt. Some of the proposals Katim
> made like disseminating info on Jammeh to his hosts where ever he goes,
and
> the Radio  Free Gambia idea are wonderful. For the Radio idea, I agree
with
> you that Senegal will be the best location.

Saul,

Thanks! Your grandfather was a great man, an honourable man. Honourable men,
inculcate honourable values in their children, and no value surpasses the
truth!

When I read what your grandfather used to repeat to you, I am sure
untiringly, I could not help but recall Sidia Jatta's resignation letter
from the Curriculum Department. It was an open letter that I got sent to me
in Oslo; I think it was around 1987. I made several copies and sent them to
colleagues. I'm sure I still have a copy somewhere.

It started somewhat like this:

Dear Sir,

And then there was a synopsis of Sidia's life; from early one morning when
his father called him into his hut and told the kid that he was going to
send him to school. What was expected of him...
To acquire knowledge so that he can contribute his utmost towards the better
of his people. Of the value of truth and honour.

How that kid went on to excel, eagerly looking forward to returning home to
contribute toward the development of The Gambia only to find that nobody
really cared what knowledge he had acquired. The attitude from above
practically said: "You are getting paid regularly, so relax!"

It ended by saying that under the circumstances, the only honourable thing
to do was to resign.

Looking at the Man Sidia is today, I can vow that the most important element
of his education was taught to him by his father. There are some things they
just don't teach in school. I myself I a product of Sukuta Junior Secondary
School.

Therefore, when Jammeh started peddling that nonsense about how many schools
he had built in two years and how many Jawara had not built in thirty, my
counter-argument was simple, as always, that if you are bent on producing
good students, students that did not think that education ends that day they
are awarded their certificates, then the logical thing to boast about is how
many good teachers I have produced from the meagre resources I have at my
disposal. That teacher can work in Barra or in Fatoto. Your four walls and a
roof? Mere structure with even furniture.

Talking about four walls and a roof, at Sukuta, classrooms Form Three and
Four were mere 'kirinting'  walls and a corrugated roof. At times when the
wind was blowing, we had to constantly dust away sand particles from our
books. Because we had very competent teachers, many did well. I understand
some have gone on to excel further academically

I think sometimes the things we run round the whole globe looking for is
right there under our own feet, we just don't know it because we don't care
to look hard enough.

And I agree with you that we need debates looking at where we are heading,
otherwise what's the use? We must know where we are heading, what we want to
get and how to get it.

My kids are coming over tomorrow to spend the Easter. If they don't
confiscate my pc, I am planning to look at Jammeh and the danger he poses to
our way of life. Let no one fool you, as you guys say down there: "The guy's
nuts!"

Regards.

Kabir.