GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:05:34 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  010/2008, 23 – 24 January 2008

Editorial
Conference by African  Intellectuals on African Economic and Political
Integration and Alternatives to  the EU-ACP Economic Partnership Agreements
The Council for the Development of  Social Science Research in Africa
(CODESRIA), the Pan African Coordination of  Intellectuals and Artists and AAWORD
Senegal are co-organising an advanced  policy dialogue conference of
intellectuals of Africa and the African Diaspora  on African Economic and Political
Integration and Alternatives to the EU-ACP  Economic Partnership Agreements (EPAs).
The conference is a joint initiative of  the three organizations and is
receiving support from the Senegalese Government,  Trust Africa, OSIWA and
SIDA/SAREC.

According to the organizers,  “The conference aims to  bring together some
150 participants drawn from  among the greatest intellectuals of Africa and the
African Diaspora, and will  provide an opportunity for a high level discussion
on how Africa can move ahead  with the economic integration and political
unification . It will also discuss  the implications of the EPAs proposal for
signature of African countries by the  European Union.  The main aims of the
conference are to enable African  intellectuals to frame a strong collective
rebuttal of the EPAs and propose  alternative frameworks for a more equitable
partnership with Europe and other  regions of the world to promote sustainable
development and adopt a common  position in support of the acceleration of the
unification of  Africa.

The conference will therefore be a high level gathering, where leading
scholars and leading representatives of policy communities, together with  leading
business persons, will meet with elder statesmen, the President of the  AU
Commission, the executive secretaries of sub-regional organizations such as
ECOWAS and SADC, and leading business persons to discuss not only the EPAs, but
also the issue of an African Union Government.”

According to the  Executive Secretary of the Council for Social Science
Research in Africa,  Professor Olukoshi, President Wade and several other Heads of
State and  Government and a number of other eminent persons have agreed to
grace the  conference with their presence, and to convey its conclusions and
recommendations to the AU.  The presentations will be covered in CD-Rom and  a
book which would be compiled and printed on time for the conference
Foroyaa  is of the view that Africa’s biggest tragedy has been the failure of
her  intellectuals to engage in strategic thinking and planning to facilitate
the  self reliant and sustainable development of the continent in order to
eradicate  the poverty and marginalisation of the African People.
Foroyaa will cover the  deliberations of the conference and keep the African
people informed. Student  organisations should now start to engage policy
makers, political  representatives and academics in symposia and conferences so
that they can begin  to develop informed minds. Foroyaa will help to support
such programmes.
The  time has come for Africans to become the architects of their own
destiny.

IEC CHAIRMAN ISSUES WARNING
By Amie Sanneh
‘Anybody  caught removing the picture of a candidate from the ballot drums
will die in  prison’, says IEC chairman, Mustapha L. Carayol. The chairperson of
the IEC made  this statement on Tuesday at the Paradise Suites. His statement
came in the wake  of allegations that some voters sometimes tear the pictures
of the candidates  which are often pasted on the ballot drums for the voters
to identify the voters  of their choice.
The IEC Commissioner who was speaking to local observers  added that voters
should also desist from sealing the holes in the ballot drums  with gum. He
said the tokens should pass through the holes in the ballot drums,  therefore it
should not be sealed by the voters. He called on election officers  to report
such malpractices.
Commenting on the activities of the IEC, the IEC  chairman explained that
since its inception, in 1997, they have conducted two  presidential and National
Assembly elections and several by-elections. Local  Government Elections he
said are conducted every four years with the second one  to be conducted on
January 24.
Chairman Carayol pointed out that elections  will be held in 59 wards for the
position of councilor and the wards within the  Banjul and Kanifing
municipalities number 26. He said that there are 989 polling  stations in the country,
but for these elections only 556 will be used. For the  Banjul Administrative
area, he said 30 polling stations will be used for the  mayoral and only 17
out of the 30 will be for the councillorship.
At the  Kanifing Administrative, the IEC Chairman continued, 182 polling
stations for  mayoral will be available and 1157 for councillorship. He gave the
polling  station figures in the other areas as follows; Brikama Administrative
Area 64,  Kerewan Administrative 27, Janjanbureh Administrative Area 105 and
Basse  Administrative Area 51..
Chairman Carayol noted that the IEC has recruited,  trained and employed 75
Assistant Returning Officers to work in the 59 wards  countrywide. He said
there will be 33 counting centres and seven collation  centres at the IEC regional
offices. “Two thousand, one hundred and sixty eight  polling staff are
contracted to render quality service to the voters,  stakeholders and partners at
the polling stations,” he said.
The IEC liaison  officer and the commissioner of police, Yaya Fadera, said
police officers will  be attached to all the polling and counting stations.
These police officers,  commissioner Fadera said, will be answerable to the
presiding officers .He said  266 election observers are expected to participate in
the local government  elections and out of which 242 are domestic observers and
24 are international  observers.

Election Monitors Monitor Political  Campaigns
The Election Monitors who w ere recently trained by the coalition  of Civil
Society Organisations on Elections are currently monitoring the  campaigns of
the various political parties and independent candidates ahead of  the Local
Government Elections, which is stated for the 24 of January. The  exercise,
which is being funded by the UNDP, is preceded by the training of the  monitors,
which was spearheaded by the coalition. The Coalition, which is being
coordinated by WANEP, has tasked the monitors to monitor the campaigns and note  down
whether the parties/independent candidates and their supporters are  complying
with the rules and regulations laid down by the Independent Electoral
Commission and to ascertain whether they are abiding by the letter and spirit of
the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the various political  parties.

Tough Moments For 2 Independent Candidates
Two  independent candidates have complained of some tough moments they
claimed to  have encountered during the campaign.
The independent candidate for  Marakissa Ward complained of being asked to
report at the police station for  questioning while the independent candidate
for Sabach Ward complained of APRC  engaging themselves in a village at a time
when he should be having a meeting  there. The two reports are published below.

Independent Candidate  Questioned By Police
By Modou Jonga
Reports reaching this reporter have it  that on Monday 21 January, 2008 the
independent candidate for Marakissa ward in  Kombo Central, Mr. Lamin Jarju,
was questioned by the personnel of the Brikama  Police Station. Speaking to this
reporter, Mr. Jarju confirmed that he was  questioned at the said station by
one Mr. Dumbuya and was later asked to leave.  He said he was told by a
colleague that the police officers have requested him  to report at the said station
while he was away. Mr. Jarju noted that after he  was informed that the
police visited his residence at Manduar, he promptly left  for the station where he
was questioned on how he manages to fund his campaign  as an independent
candidate. According to Mr. Jarju, he replied that his  campaign is being funded
by contributions from his supporters. This reporter  visited the said station
and the station officer Ibrahim Jawara Demba said he is  not aware of the
questioning of Jarju by his men.
When the police  spokesperson was contacted by this reporter, Inspector
Sulayman Secka said his  office is not aware of the questioning of Jarju.

Sabach Ward  Independent Candidate Accuses APRC
By Fabakary B.Ceesay
Mr. Ousman  Touray, the Independent candidate who is aspiring for the Sabach
Ward seat in  Sabach Sanjal constitutuency, has said that his campaign efforts
are being  undermined by the APRC campaign team in the area.
Speaking to this reporter  on Tuesday, 22 January, Mr. Touray said he was
supposed to hold a meeting at  Dibba Kunda Wollof, in a section call “Danhar,”
between 14:30pm to 15:30pm. He  said that he was supposed to hold a meeting at
the other side of the village  call “Sanjimana,” which was supposed to wrap
up by 18:00pm; that as he was  preparing to go to Dibba Kunda, he was informed
by his supporters that the APRC  supporters were holding a meeting on the said
ground and have stated that they  will not leave the area until midnight. He
said his supporters were not happy  with the conduct of the APRC supporters;
that things nearly resulted in a  confrontation. He pointed out that he had
lodge a complaint to the IEC regional  office at Kerewan. He said he was asked by
the IEC officials to suspend his  meetings for the sake of maintaining peace.
When this reporter contacted the  IEC office, one Faraba Janneh confirmed the
complaint lodged by Mr. Touray; but  noted that it was a verbal complaint.
Mr. Janneh said Mr. Touray should have put  his complaint in writing, but not
verbal. Mr. Janneh noted that the IEC was not  in a position to visit the scene
to verify the allegations made by Mr. Touray.  He said that all their vehicles
were in the field at the time of the alleged  incident; that they advised Mr.
Touray to keep the peace, since both of them  (him and the APRC candidate)
are from the same area and are relatives. Mr.  Janneh added that they also told
Mr. Touray that if he cannot heed their advice  to postpone his meeting at
Dibba Kunda; and he chooses to go ahead with it and  it results in any problem,
the IEC will conduct its findings into the matter and  take appropriate action.

UTGSU Swears In New Executive
By Isatou  Bittaye
The outgoing executive committee of the University of The Gambia  Student’s
Union (UTGSU) had handed over the mantle of leadership to the new  executive
body at a ceremony held on Monday, January 21 at the Girl Guides  Training
Centre.
Speaking at the ceremony, the Vice-Chancellor of UTG,  Professor Andreas
Steigen, said unionism is about team work and togetherness.  Professor Steigen
added that in order to have results, one needs to identify  one’s aim, areas of
mutual interest, be patient and watch out for a harder  agenda.
In his statement, the outgoing President, Mr. Kemo A. M Cham, said  the Union
has undergone tremendous hardships. He also buttressed the importance  of
student unionism and noted that the support of all students is needed for the
union to achieve its objectives.
In his speech, the incoming President, Mr.  Ousman Badjie appealed to the
management of the University to provide materials  for the Library. He said the
students have been telling him that the library  closes early and this,
sometimes, affects the students. Mr. Badjie also appealed  to the UTG management to
empower the Union Executive by directing all funds  meant for students’ welfare
to the union. He said students are faced with the  problem of paying tuition
fees but that with the creation of a students loan  scheme, the problem will
be solved..
Mr. Jaiteh said the students loan scheme  is in the Pipeline and will be made
available to students, noting that it has to  pass through certain stages,
especially the senate. He advised the students’  union to make good use of the
university administration, noting that their doors  are open to students.
The vote of thanks was given by the outgoing  Vice-President, Mustapha Kah.
The Members of the new executive committee  are::
Ousman Badjie-President
Mr. Tijan Jobe-Vice President
Abdoulie  N. Baacha-Secretary General
Alaye Barra-Director of Finance
Mr. Gibriel  Jarju-Director of Sports
Gibairu Janneh-Information and Public Relations  Officer (IPRO)
Alfred Gomez Director of Technical Services.
Muhamed Nagib-  Auditor General
Haddy Semega Janneh-Director of Welfare.
“Expect A Cleaner  Environment,” Says APRC Candidate
By Amie Sanneh
The APRC candidate, who  is aspiring for the KMC mayoral seat in the
forthcoming Local Government  Elections, Mr. Yankuba Colley, has urged the residents
of Kanifing Municipality  to expect a cleaner environment if he is elected.
Speaking in an interview  with Foroyaa, Mr. Colley who was brimming with
confidence, said he is optimistic  that he would defeat Master Danso, come January
24, 2008. He said he has several  plans in place for the Municipality. He
explained that he was the occupant of  the seat before the advent of the
elections and that he has handed his  responsibilities to the management committee
that is presently running the  affairs of the council. Mr. Colley revealed that
he has a 5 year plan for the  municipality developed by the people of the
Municipality.
He said the  construction of good roads, provision of street lights,
electricity and clean  pipe borne water are his plans.
Commenting on the youths, he said he  has programs for them which include
exchange visits to Senegal to share  experiences, facilitate the construction of
recreational centres and to improve  existing ones to standard.
Mr. Colley said they would also increase the  amount for sponsorships and the
number of beneficiaries.
He said the campaign  is going on smoothly. “After all, it’s the people who
will decide,” he remarked.  He also urged the people to behave peacefully,
noting that elections come and  go, but the people remain.

“I Have High Hopes’
Master  Danso
By Amie Sanneh
Momodou Danso, alias Master Danso, the United  Democratic Party nominated
candidate, who is aspiring for the mayoral seat in  the Kanifing Municipality in
the forthcoming Local Government Elections, has  said that he has high hopes
that he will outclass his opponent, the APRC’s  Yankuba Colley.
Mr Danso said his confidence is rekindled by the way things  are unfolding
ahead of the elections. In justifying his confidence, Master Danso  told this
reporter that he has the support of the youths, the middle age and the  elderly.
Commenting on his development plans, Danso pointed out that his  priorities
would be to ensure that Kanifing Municipality is well looked after  and that
refuse collection is regular and punctual. He added that if he is  elected,
existing drains would be opened and drained and if possible new ones  will be
constructed. Master Danso said that the old drains are breeding places  for
mosquitoes and other disease causing bacteria.
He observed that certain  communities, especially those around the swamps,
have shallow wells with pit  latrines near by, which may contaminate the wells,
which people used to fetch  drinking water. He explained that if he is voted
into office, he would provide  sanitary tanks for waste collection. Master
Danso described the local government  elections as equally important as the
national assembly and presidential  elections. He said local governments are the
foundation; that they run the  affairs of their localities and bring development.
Master Danso also described  politics as a “sneaky thing”, noting that some
people support by mouth, others  underneath.
He said the people of KMC should elect somebody who can run the  affairs of
the municipality rather than somebody who is going to be a  ‘pocket”.
The UDP candidate also urged people to vote peacefully and not to  cause any
intimidation or harassment. He said people should have freedom and  liberty.
Fighting or dictating people on what to do is not acceptable, he said.  He
finally said that people are mature enough to choose for themselves the  candidate
of their choice.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Divorce or  Destruction
Part 2
With Amie Sillah
Uncle Ben Talks To Aunty  Alice
Uncle Ben called his wife Aunty Alice and advised her. “Your attitude  is
poisoning the family. You are putting it under a curse. Don’t make my  children
despise me. What happened in the past is history. I have asked for
forgiveness. I was young and exuberant but you still hold a grudge against me.  Why? You
are destroying our family don’t you see it? Please let by gone be by  gone.
Let us enjoy the fruit of our labour.” “No! I can’t! I’ll never forgive  you
even in death. You are evil Ben! You made me suffer. I lost three  pregnancies
due to your severe battery. I single handedly educated my children.  Now they
are blessed. You want to reap where you do not sow? No! I’ll not agree  to it.
I hate you Benjie! I hate you with a passion. It is payback time. I’ll
revenge. It is my time for revenge. I’ll destroy you Benjamin! Let’s bet it!”  She
hissed at Uncle Benjie. Uncle Benjie still begged her. “Put your anger on me
but I beg you don’t involve the children. You’ll destroy them. We married
young,  no experience. We were bound to make mistakes. Involving the children
does not  favour the children.” “Safe your gospel! You can’t extricate the
children from  this wickedness. Safe your gospel! You subjected me to constant
battery which  resulted to the lost of three pregnancies. I nearly lost my life
in the last one  when I stayed for three months in hospital. I cannot pretend.
I am very  practical.”

Dr. Reuben And Anita
They relaxed in the garden and  chatted. They thanked God for their family
success. “Look at our family! You are  Dr. Reuben. You own your own private
clinic. I am a nurse/ midwife graduate and  Emma is a Civil Engineer
undergraduate. Mama is a senior nursing officer and dad  a retired senior servant. What
else do we ask from God?” Anita told her brother.  Reuben reflected and said. “
Wait a minute! But why can’t we have peace in our  house?” Reuben asked. “You
are right! Mom is the cause of commotion in our  household. But, why? Why does
she like to cause trouble every time dad is  around? She does not respect dad.
” Anita chorused. “You have to talk to her as  her only daughter. She will
listen to you.” Reuben advised. “What! Me? No! Mom  is impossible. I don’t
want her ‘wahala’ (trouble). What about you?” “Well! I’ll  try but mom is
trouble. I’ll take a different approach. I’ll talk to Emma as the  last born to
impress upon her to change her attitude towards dad. What happened  between them
is in the past. It is none of our business. We as children have to  treat
them equally. I am famished! Any food for chop?” Reuben asked Ani. “I am  not a
househelp. You better find a wife!” Ani teased. “I’ll soon find one.”
Reuben responded.

Reuben Introduces His Fiancée
Dr. Reuben  brought home his fiancée Barrister Stephenie. He introduced her
to his family.  The family welcomed her with warmth. Mom was absent. She
traveled to a  neighbouring town. Her dad died. Dad entertained the guest with his
proverbs and  words of wisdom. Steph felt at home.

Mom Is Back
Mom is back.  She felt disappointed that Reuben brought his fiancée behind
her back. They were  at the dining table and Emma commented. “Mom! You missed
her. Steph is angelic  and a dazzling damsel. She is a barrister by profession.
We felt your absence.”  Dad got into the conversation. “No Emma! It was fine.
We did not miss her. She  would have wash our dirty linen in front of a
stranger. God made it perfect when  he sent her away.” Mom hissed and rudely left
the dining. Dad smiled. “Eat your  food kids! I have more appetite if your mom
is away.” “Dad! You are hurting her.  Mind your words.” Ani protested. As she
left mom ordered Reuben to meet her  upstairs in her room.

She Protests
Mom protested to Reuben.  “Why? Why did you betray me?” Reuben asked. “How ?”
 “How? You brought your  fiancée behind my back. You make your dad a
champion. He is now bluffing and  mocking at me. You should have postponed the visit
until I come back from my  trip.” Reuben was very surprised. He could not
figure out mom’s hatred for their  dad. “It is this bad mom? I can’t understand
why you can’t find something good  about dad.” “You know why? Because your dad
is wicked. He nearly killed me  before you were born. I have to spend a whole
nine months with my parents to  keep my pregnancy. You would have been aborted
if I did not employ that tactic.  Your girl have to revisit again if not I’ll
not allow you marry her.” “Mom! Are  you threatening me? I’ll not accept it.
I am no longer a kid.” “You don’t have a  choice. Why are you so impossible
mom?” Reuben left in a rage. “Come back stupid  boy!” Mom ordered. “Come and
clear this rubbish!” She pointed to a dirty plate  on the floor. Reuben
refused. Mom screamed. “I’ll curse you if you disobey me!”  Reuben came back
reluctantly and took the plate. “Mom! You are trying my  patience! Be aware!” “
Rubbish!” Mom was very bitter.

Mom Is Going  To Work
Mom is going to work. She saw Emma doing laundry for dad. She scolded  him. “
What are doing? Why are you not in school?” “Don’t you see it mom? I am
doing dad’s laundry. My lectures are in the afternoon.” “Stop the laundry and go
to campus and read before your lectures. When you are done with your school
work  then you can do your dad’s stupid laundry.” Emma refused. “I can’t mom.
The  clothes are already in the pan. I  have to wash them first. I still have
 time for reading my notes.” “Well! Well! You defy me. We shall see who will
give  you fares to attend lectures. You’ll go to your dad to give you fares
from his  miserable pension.” She then rudely ordered the driver to take her to
 work.

Reuben Reacts
Reuben found Emma at home and querried him.  “Why are you still at home? Are
you not going for lectures?” Emma complained  about mom. “It is mom. She
refused to give me fares.” “Why?” Reuben asked.  “Because I did laundry for dad.
She punishes me for defying her orders.” “Where  is dad?” Reuben asked. “He
is in his room.” Emma answered. “There is no peace  from mom. You have to
talk to her as her ‘chat’, last born. She will listen.  Moms love their last
borns.” Reuben argued. “Who, mom? Well! I’ll try.” Emma  said.

IEC Urges Political Parties To Appoint Competent Agents
By  Amie Sanneh
The Director of Operations at the Independent Electoral  Commission,
Sambuyjang Njie has urged political parties to appoint competent  agents to represent
them during the Local Government Elections. Mr. Njie said  the political
parties should select people who will be in a position to access  Polling Stations
without any problem. He noted that party agents should be at  the Polling
Stations an hour before the opening. This he said will enable them  to check and
see the ballot boxes before they are sealed to ensure  transparency.
Mr. Njie also said that it is not the duty of the IEC to  provide stationery
or seats for the political agents, noting that they want to  be as neutral as
possible during the election period. He added that political  parties should
ensure that their agents are provided with all their needs,  including seats
and tables.
The Director of Communications at the IEC,  Joseph Colley, who was the
coordinator of the programme, called on the  participants to transmit the
information gathered to their colleagues and the  public at large.
Mr. Sulayman Joof of the Independent Electoral Commission  (IEC) urged
Presiding Officers to be firm on election day and not to allow  anybody  to vote
after 4 O’clock. Mr. Joof, however, added that in a  situation where voters have
joined the  queue before four, they should be  allowed to vote by the
presiding officer. If it is four o’clock, Mr Joof said an  IEC staff should stand
behind the last person in the queue to stop late comers  from voting. Commenting
on the powers of the Presiding Officers, he said they  are the overall boss at
the poling stations during election-periods and that  they should not consider
any friendship or relationship at the station, but to  perform their duty. He
added that they have the right to drive away any person  who comes with party
colour or T-Shirts at the polling stations. Mr. Joof said  even bicycles are
not allowed at the poling stations and should be 500 meters  away. He
explained that cyclist riding bicycles at Polling Centres could result  in confusion,
noting that the sounds from the bells of bicycles resemble the  sound of the
bells in the ballot drums. Mr Joof said since election materials  are
expensive, it is therefore important to secure them. He added that securing  every
aspect of the electioneering process is significant. He called on the  security
personnel to be firm and to try their utmost best to secure and protect  lives
and properties

Boy, 2, Needs Overseas Treatment
By Musa  Barrow
Kodeh Dansira, a resident of Essau, has called on philanthropists and  well
wishers  to help her two year old son, Kemo Camara, to get surgical  treatment
abroad.
According to the two year old boys medical report, issued  on the 26 of July,
2007 by RVTH, Kemo has  a congenital cyanotic heart  disease like fallot
temalogy and developed a first cyanotic spell crisis.
The  report further indicated that as a result of the above mentioned
condition, the  boy needs urgent surgical treatment. This procedure according to the
medical  report is only available overseas.
Speaking to this reporter, the mother of  Kemo said her son’s life is
threatened by this complicated heart trouble. She  said that given their financial
situation, they cannot afford to send their  child abroad for treatment.
The young woman who looked disheartened, added  that before appealing for
help from the public, she had tried various avenues  but to no avail.
She further narrated that the pain Kemo is suffering from  has kept her awake
many nights. Anyone interested in helping little Kemo Camara  can call this
number:7375382.

48)