GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:20:56 +0000
Mod, thanks for your response.  We cannot hide our poverty and deplorable
conditions and no amount of crushing is going to take this out of the view
of the tourist.  Why don't we address the underlying cause rather than try
to put a temporary fix on this big economic and social problem?  It does not
make a difference where tourists are begged, whether it is at the airport,
market or hotel.  It is not like they are going to turn around and head back
home when confronted with begging at the airport.  If they stay in that
country for a day, they will see this begging every where, for it is every
where.  There is more begging at Jammeh's residence than in any other place.
  You may say it is a private affair in that case, but it is the tone that
is set at the top.  The very guards at the airport and hotels beg, so why
are we picking on the man in the street?

Mod, there are various reasons why our tourist industry suck and chief among
them is poor leadership.  Our government does not have a workable plan to
build the industry.  What is the condition of the roads from Yundum to Sere
Kunda?  What is the sanitary condition of the neighborhoods once these
tourist leave the airport?  I was recently talking to a African American
Tour Operator that said the number one complain of most tourists that he
brings are the flies, stray animals and their waste that create more flies.
The garbage every where and folks peeing in plain view.  Sewage flooding in
many a streets, etc.  He could not understand why our government is
unwilling to do something about the flies and the sanitation.  He also said
that tourist do not just come to Gambia because of the beaches, but more so
to experience the people and their culture and that you get by mixing and
mingling with the masses.

I say let us address our economic and social problems and we can create a
better environment for our visitors.  Tourism is one of those industries
that you have to spend money in order to make it profitable.  Is the
government paying any attention to the industry and are they investing any
resources to boost the industry?  I think not.  Let us not use the bumpsters
as scapegoats.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou