GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:05:13 +0000
                                                               BY PA NDERRY M'BAI

  Facts are gradually emerging about the circumstances surrounding the shooting incident, which occured at the Central Bank of The Gambia about five years ago, as one of the soldiers,  who witnessed the incident, had decided to come public to shed light on the bloody incident.  Musa Drammeh, a former soldier of The Gambia National army, who sustained gunshots on the day in question, while on guard at the Central Bank, in a letter sent to this paper, said he was told by the attackers that they were sent by the Jammeh government to effect such a security operation. Drammeh, who asked  editors of this paper not to reveal his place of residence at the moment,  in fear of his life alleged that the attackers told him that such an action was intended to attract foreign aid and also the attention of the international community.  Drammeh who had series of phone conversations with this reporter narrated how he was approached at his hospital bed in Banjul, few years ago, by government agents,
 who asked him to volunteer information that the Central Bank was attacked by the late Lieutenant Almamo Manneh and jailed state guard commander Landing Sanneh.  Mr.Drammeh in his own words said he told the government agents in no uncertain terms that he Musa Drammeh will not be a party to such conspiracy to implicate his fellow soldiers.  He alleged that he was offered with an  overseas treatment and lieutenant rank, provided that he was willing to testify against Messrs Lt.Sanneh and the late Almamo Manneh.  Drammeh who failed to name the said government agents in his first revelations, told this paper that once he successfully finished his medical operations, he will further spill the beans.  Below is the full text of  soldier Musa  Drammeh's letter, sent to this paper.  This paper had also received a hint about new details regarding journalist Deyda Hydara's death.  We will run the said  piece, once we are done with our investigations.  Please read Mr.Drammeh's letter......

  Dear Mr Mbai,

  It was on December 1999, when  I was posted with another private soldier to guard the Central Bank of The Gambia. Our duties started between  Friday to Monday. Between the hours of  that Friday to Sunday evening, there was no problem. At around 1:30am  Monday,  20TH, December 1999, when we received  three unusual calls and when ever I  picked  up the phone,  the person hang  off the phone.  He kept on hanging the phone  on  three occasions. I then went round the bank and during the process i met three uniform men and one in mofty.The one in mofty told me that they were joint services men send on a mission and asked me to pretend to go to the navy headquarters to tell them that  the Central Bank  was under  attacked.  Meanwhile, they carried out   their mission.  Prior to that, I asked them their mission and and I was told that it was  confidential. I said to  the uniform men that I was not going to move an inch and asked them to retreat from the area.  One of the attackers told me
 that they were sent by the government to break the Central Bank, in a bid to attract international attention and foreign aid.

  I responded by telling them that if  that was the only the government can secure foreign aid, then they will failed, as i will not be a party to such acts.  One of the men then retorted by telling me then "then you are finished."  I was  immediately overpowered, as they attacked me physically.  I  later managed to  escape from their hands and  moved to a  corner while timing them. They later  fired at me and I also fired back.  The exchange of gun fire lasted for about  thirty minutes ad s and then they  left.I was there for another 30 to 40 minutes before the  re-enforcement team arrived and  later took me to the hospital.

  At the hospital, I  was hunted by the same gang.  My deputy commander had to provide me with guards while at the hospital.  In January,  Lt. Landing Sanneh and Almamo Manneh  were  accused  of a coup. In  February,  two men came to  see me at the hospital and asked me to say that LT.Sanneh and Manneh  were  the ones  who attacked the Bank and also to be a witness at the court. They promised to take me for  overseas treatment and  upon returned I    will be promoted  to  the rank of  lieutenant.  I  retorted by asking them,  if that was the only reason for their visit.  They replied yes and I told them  that   I was okay with their overseas trip and the lieutenant rank offer.  That I was not the type of people  who will destroy others to gain success.

  One of them in  in mofty then told me that  me "you are strong-headed and opposition. You are only taking your self from the frying pan to the fire and then  they left .During my stay in hospital,  I  received many gifts with warning letters that this story is my life whenever I  reveal it will be completed."

  MR MBAI, THIS IS PART ONE OF THE STORY AND IS THE SHORTEST PART OF IT.  WHEN I LEFT THE HOSPITAL IN  MARH, THAT WAS  THE BEGINNING OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT AND ME.  BUT MOST OF THAT WAS PERSONALLY BETWEEN ME AND THE GOVERNMENT. I   WILL BE HAVING AN OPERATION TOMORROW AND I DO NOT KNOW WHEN WILL I LEAVE THE HOSPITAL,  BUT AS SOON AS I LEAVE THE HOSPITAL I WILL LET YOU KNOW .FOR THE MEANTIME,  YOU CAN READ THE STORY AND PREPARE YOUR QUESTION THAT WORRIES YOU.

  REGARDS
MUSA DRAMMEH