GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ams Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:33:05 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/02 9:33:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Observer Editorial
>
> August 9, 2002
>
> Saving the Dalasi
> The current downwards pressure on the Dalasi is indeed a cause for concern
> to all Gambians. Our currency is depreciating rapidly against all the
> international currencies, moreso the CFA and the Pound Sterling. This has
> led to the expected rise in prices of basic goods such as soap, sugar and
> luxuries.
> -----
Mr. & Mrs. Observer, whatever happened to Vision 2020 and Allah's Bank. I do
hope that, Jammeh will for once, enroll in economics 101, thereby
understanding that: THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A FREE-LUNCH..STUPID!  With Taiwan,
Cuba and Middle Eastern Monarchies feeling the economic squeeze affecting the
USA, the Dalasi will in the near future, be the laughing stock of Africa.
Prove me wrong, you make-believe sympathizer of Yahya Jammeh and his voodoo
economics, the marginal propensity and capacity or wherewithal to produce is
absent at best because of APRC's blind leading the blind policies. Pre July
22, 1994, the re-export trade meant liquid cash flow for the economy, instead
of runaway would-be investors/traders. The port of Banjul, was laden with
foreign ships waiting days to dock; Buckle, Picton, Box Bar was parked with
8-16 wheelers; Customs and Excise revenues, in the millions, hence, there
existed a trickle down effect. Nowadays, there's only two options for
survival with Gambians: either get support from a family member in the
Diaspora or, join APRC for the "NJIROH" of Yahya's crumbs from the dining
table. As Malcolm would have put it, If you aren't sitting at the dinning
table, you ain't a diner.
Yahya is faced with the same scenario, that G Dubya Bush is cocooned in and
afraid to come out of. As the ship sinks, your captain...oops, Colonel...
keeps saying: A YAAY SAH...ALL IS WELL.
Ams