GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:07:01 -0400
Demba,
            Think about it. These are the only two groups of citizens
who can organized themselves to respond effectively to the challenges
pose by any government. The political parties can form a formidable
alliance to defeat the government.

The civil society groups are the anchor for defiance campaigns, civil
disobedience, protests and demonstrations, all of which are within the
confines of the law and their constitutional rights, to restrain the
government and force them to make concessions.

And the two groups can work together. How they can work together is a
question of method and strategy. And everything would be above board
and legal.

Nyang has shared with us that even where a credible opposition alliance
cannot defeat the government in a presidential election, a strong gains
in the parliament to form the majority could go a long way in humbling
the government, restrain its powers and eventually render it so weak
that it can be defeated.

This reminds me. I was talking to a young Gambian female lawyer.
Dynamic and full of vigor. I asked her why the Gambian Bar Association
never takes issue with the government concerning illegal detentions.
Detentions that are more than the 72 hours legal mandate. She told me
that the problem is one of  Locus Standi. Does the Gambian Bar
Association have the legal standing to directly challenge the
government on illegal detentions?

Secondly, she told me that in most cases the victims or their families
do not want to involve the association to make it a party to a lawsuit.
Thus the only option that the association may have is to sponsor a
private bill that can address the issue and try to get it passed
through the national assembly. The problem here is that the national
assembly the majority of whom are with the governing party will never
be sympathetic to any bill that does not support the government or is
critical of its policies.

But then she made a very valid observation about one of their members
who found himself afoul with the law. When the association made threats
of a demonstration and civil disobedience, and the government found it
to credible, the government compromise with this lawyer who dissociate
himself from what the association was planning to do and eventually
resign as a member. I hope I am getting the story right.

The lesson: Yes, civil society groups can pose a threat to any
government.

Rene