GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:53:19 -0500
Folks,
I hate to be personal but I can't understand how Joseph Joof would allow
himself to stoop this low. What is it worth?

It is one thing for that bunch in name of our National Assembly to come up
with any nonsense and call it law for "we know they do not know what life is
really worth" (Bob Marley). But for the likes of Joseph Joof to willingly
participate in this travesty is not only disservice to the Gambia (as the
country's chief legal adviser) but unethical as a schooled lawyer.

What happened to common sense, justice and fair play Bishop Cleary (formerly
Father Cleary) worked so hard to instill  in us? What can we say when in
2021 another bunch of idiots come up with similarly obnoxious amendments
making it treason to have participated in Yahya Jammeh's government between
1993 and 2020? Do we standby while they drag you and the likes for not doing
enough to call injustice what it deserves to be called?  I say sham on us!

Malanding Jaiteh

Gov't Clarifies, UDP Reacts Following Arrest Of Darboe & Co.

The Daily Observer (Banjul)

November 26, 2002
Posted to the web November 26, 2002

Alieu Badara Ceesay
Banjul

In the wake of speculations following the arrest of UDP's Ousainou Darboe
Friday, the Attorney General's Chambers has issued a press release to
clarify and put things in the right context. This is the text of the press
release: "We issue this press release to clarify the present legal position
with regard to persons charged with murder and other similar offences for
which the penalty is death or life imprisonment.

"In view of the recent increase in the crime of murder and other violent
offences and in order to ensure that the public continues to be adequately
protected, that expressed public fears are allayed and that people are
prevented from taking the law into their own hands, the National Assembly
earlier this year enacted the Criminal Procedure Code (Amendment) Act, 2002.

"Under this amendment to Section 99 of the Criminal Procedure Code, all
persons charged with murder and other similar offences for which the penalty
is death or life imprisonment are not entitled to be granted bail unless
where the trial has been unreasonably delayed.

"This has been the legal position since February this year, and has since
then been applied in all cases of murder and similar offences to every
person so charged irrespective of the status of such person since everyone
is equal before the law, as provided for in the constitution," the release
concluded.

Meanwhile, at a hastily arranged press conference in Banjul, Saturday, the
UDP has denounced the arrest of its leader and others. Mr Darboe was picked
up along with his deputy Yaya Jallow, youth president Shyngle Nyassi and
Lang Marong. They are in detention in various police stations.

The UDP legal secretary, Mariam Denton, said the arrest was unconstitutional
because "they have not been told up to date the reason for their arrest and
subsequent detention." She said their lawyers "are working on modalities to
seek court action to get them released without further delay." Asked if the
arrests are related to Tuesday's Court of Appeal ruling which set aside a
bail granted to them by the High Court, Mrs Denton responded, "the court had
held that the originating sermons is still pending and shall be heard by the
court..." She said the director of public prosecution had assured the Court
of Appeal that Darboe and others would not suffer any negative consequences
as a result of its judgement.

Meanwhile, sources have clarified that Baba Drammeh who is in Dakar, Senegal
and Rewane Secka, Mr Darboe's bodyguard, have not been arrested.

Both men are among those charged with the murder of Alieu Njie, an APRC
supporter, in June 2000 in Basse.

----

Make allAfrica.com your home page

----

Top | Site Français | Site Guide | Who We Are | Advertising

----

Copyright © 2002 The Daily Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). Click here to contact the copyright
holder directly for corrections -- or for permission to republish or make
other authorized use of this material.