GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:34:04 -0700
Prince,

Thanks so much for your wonderful analysis.  It's always refreshing to read (on not
have to suffer through) your postings.  And I'll take this opportunity to say that I
think people have been too generous to refer to a lot of educated Gambians as
"intellectuals."  Frankly, many of these so-called intellectuals are nothing more
than highly educated people who pass for intellectuals in the absence of the real
thing in The Gambia.  As the Wollof saying goes: "Ya fi, say-ss dina day taxa fallu."
The proverb is funtionally equivalent to the saying "in the land of the blind, the
one-eyed man is King."

And by the way, I still haven't downloaded all the Bembeya Jazz and other goodies
you've got on your site.  I'll pick up some of them later.

Before I forget, I would like to welcome Ebrima Ceesay back.  I very well understand
how hectic graduate (or post-graduate; take your pick) school can be.  Believe it or
not, it was just a few weeks ago I had a dream that I failed my prelims!  I can now
laugh about it, but I'll tell you, that dream wasn't fun!

Have a great week, and keep up the great work.

Katim