GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:23:40 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues Issue No. 147, 14 – 16 December  2007
Editorial
Deyda’s Culprits Still Not Brought To  Justice

The murderer(s) who shot Deyda Hydara in cold blood are yet  to be arrested
and brought to justice. Three years have passed and no  announcement has been
made that the culprits have been found and arrested.
It was recommended that a commission of inquiry be instituted but this has
not been done. It was also recommended that assistance be sought from outside
in  the investigation. This was not done. The big question as to who killed
Deyda  Hydara is yet to be answered.
After the interim report which was made on 29  April 2005 , recommending
further investigation no statement has been made since  then. The conduct of the
government differs from one that is determined and keen  to pursue the death of
a son of this soil, who has contributed his quota in the  development of this
nation.
Nonetheless, even though the body of Deyda was  interned three years ago his
spirit still lives on. Deyda has now become a  symbol of the struggle against
impunity, supression of freedom of expression and  justice. He died standing
firm on what he believed and has won the respect of  all lovers of freedom and
justice.
May he continue to rest in  peace.
Foroyaa has started asking the security forces for the state of the
investigation on the shooting incident which lead to the death of Deyda Hydara.  We
will share with our readers whatever we get from the security forces.  Needless
to say, we mustn’t forget that Deyda Hydara was survived by a family  who are
interested in knowing who killed their husband and father and wish those
people to be arrested and brought to justice. The government has to conduct
itself in a way that is convincing to the public that it has interest in  pursuing
the murderers of Deyda Hydara.

3rd Anniversary Of Deyda’s Death
IN MEMORY OF DEYDA HYDARA
Deyda  Hydara was a founder member (1991), managing editor and co proprietor
of The  Point newspaper. He was a former Chairman of The Gambia Press Union
and ex  treasurer of the West African Journalists Association (WAJA).
GAMBIA PRESS  UNION
December 16, 2007 marks three years since unknown assassins gunned down  the
late Deyda Hydara, a journalist of great professional ability, as he  returned
home from work on a day, which was also the 13th anniversary of the  founding
of his newspaper, The Point.
Today, as everyday, the Gambia Press  Union (GPU) wishes to call the public’s
attention to the fact that the  perpetrators of this heinous crime have not
yet been brought to book. If it  could happen to Deyda Hydara, it could happen
to anyone of us.
The GPU also  wishes to express its utmost disappointment that the state
departments  responsible for the protection of life and property in this country
have to date  woefully failed to find the culprits. Instead, a National
Intelligence Agency  (NIA) “Confidential Report” meant to tarnish and belittle the
person of Deyda  Hydara was released to the press on 29 April 2005 to the utter
dismay of his  family, friends, and colleagues and loved ones.
An issue of concern for the  GPU is the apparent failure of the authorities
to show commitment in  investigating atrocities against the private media and
journalists. Regrettably,  we are obliged to draw the attention of the Gambia
Government to the fact that  many of our colleagues have lost faith and
confidence in the ability of the  security forces and the government to put an end to
IMPUNITY. We have observed a  similar trend in our society at large. Such a
scenario is inimical to peace and  security and poses a threat to media
practitioners.
We do sincerely hope that  this time around, no stone will be left unturned
to trace the perpetrators of  this dastardly act; and pave the way for an end
to impunity and the restoration  of public confidence especially of the private
media.
We wish to honour the  memory of Deyda Hydara and to register our stance
against the overt or covert  condoning of any form of impunity by our government.
We believe that, as  buttressed by provisions in our 1997 Constitution and by
United Nations  Conventions on Human Rights, The African Charter on Human and
Peoples’ Rights  and Commonwealth Principles and Declarations, to all of which
our government  solemnly subscribes, every Gambian has the right to life and
liberty and also  that, all people in this country must, without
discrimination and distinction,  be accorded the equal protection of the law at all times,
including when they  engaged in the expression of views and opinions on
burning issues of the day  which affect them and their fellow citizens.
This notwithstanding, the  Private Press is faced with draconian laws such as
the Criminal Code (Amendment)  Act 2005 and a hostile operating environment.
The Press in The Gambia is faced  with:
Repeated arrests and detention of journalists
Disappearance of  journalists
Dragging Court cases
Deportation of foreign  journalists
Physical assault on journalists
Closing down of media houses  including Citizen FM, SUD FM and The
Independent Newspaper.
Arson attacks on  media houses e.g. Radio 1 FM and the Independent Newspaper;
And on individual  journalists such as Ebrima Sillah, BBC stringer and Alieu
Bah’s houses and, the  assassination of Deyda Hydara, Co-Proprietor,
Co-Founder and Editor of the Point  Newspaper
We therefore take this opportunity to call on the government of The  Gambia
to engage meaningfully with the media by: (i) providing an enabling
environment that promotes freedom of expression, (ii) stopping the unwarranted  arrest,
deportation and detention of journalists, (iii) reopening all media  houses
and allowing them to operate without fear of reprisals, (iv) stepping up
efforts into investigations on all pending cases relating to the assault on
journalists particularly the murder of Deyda Hydara.
We wish to point out  that democracy cannot prevail and development remains
unattainable without the  participation of an independent, free and pluralistic
press. The media has a  crucial role to play in the good governance of
democratic societies, by ensuring  transparency and accountability, promoting
participation and the rule of law,  and contributing to the fight against poverty.
We wish to remind the  government that the Fourth Estate is a partner in
development. The media can  bring about behaviour change and social mobilization
for effective and  sustainable development through the dissemination of
information that is crucial  for the life and development of communities.
To those who brutally murdered  Deyda Hydara, you have failed miserably in
your evil design to silence the voice  of truth. Your criminal act has in fact
turned his voice into a universal voice  of truth and a universal voice of
condemnation of evil and injustice.
We  rejoice in the fact that Deyda Hydara will always be remembered as a
courageous,  steadfast and committed journalist, one who ascribed to the singular
pursuit of  truth, justice, transparency and accountability. He died a hero
and a martyr to  the cause of a free press for The Gambia.
Today, Deyda Hydara stands taller  than he was during his lifetime; he towers
like a giant over the heads of his  brutal murderers and he continues to
strike at the root of the evil that took  his life.
The GPU Executive

The Assassination of Deyda  Hydara - Three Years On
By D. A. Jawo, Former GPU Chairman

It  is three years since our colleague Deyda Hydara was killed by yet unknown
 assassin(s), and up to now, there appears to be no clue as to who was
responsible for that dastardly act and why, and there also appears be no further
investigation into the matter.
As far as we are aware, apart from the  “Confidential” report released by
the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) in  April 2005, which instead of give us
any clue as to who may have killed him and  why, tried instead to blame his “
recklessness” as being responsible for his  killing.
Indeed, even for such a bulky report, there was complete silence on  a number
of vital forensic issues, such as what happened to the bullets  recovered
from his body and whether any efforts were made to try and trace their  origin.
Since there are available forensic means to trace the origin of a used  bullet,
the type of gun used, its date of manufacture, its maker and supplier,  and
even the shop it was purchased from and who the licensed custodian was, one
would therefore wonder why the report stated nothing on that matter. Secondly,
it was observed that the report also conveniently failed to mention the
autopsy  report, of which we understand even the Hydara family has never obtained a
copy,  despite several attempts.
It is indeed quite hard to understand why our  security agencies have not
shown any inclination to investigate this murder with  the urgency and
seriousness it deserves, as if they are not interested in  getting to the truth. They
have not only disregarded all the calls by the Gambia  Press Union and other
media rights groups to invite more experienced  investigators to help them, but
there is no indication that investigations into  the matter are still going on.
Therefore, as the situation is at present, it  is hard to see Deyda’s killers
being ever brought to book. There is however no  doubt that no matter how
long it may take for justice to be seen to be done on  the issue, it will forever
remain fresh in the minds of most Gambians,  particularly those of the media
fraternity. We will forever regard him as a  colleague who was killed because
of what he had been writing; until such time  that evidence to the contrary is
produced.

Deyda Hydara  Remembered
By Madi M.K.Ceesay -President of GPU

December 16 will  be three solid years since Deyda was shot and killed by
unknown assailants. The  media fraternity, family members and loved ones deeply
regret the circumstances  surrounding the death of Deyda. “We the colleagues
will only be consoled if the  killers of Hydara were brought to book, though we
preferred having him alive  than dead”.
Yes the crime has been committed, though it could have been  averted if all
was well. However since the killers were not stopped until they  carried out
their heinous act, it is only proper and fair that the law takes its  course.
The onus is upon government to make sure the killers are brought to  book.
Since December 16 2004 when our colleague was killed, the journalists,  under
the organization of the Gambia Press Union, which Hydara himself served at
one time as the Chairman, which position is now called President, felt insecure
 and are asking who will be the next victim.
Hydara did not only stop at  serving the Gambia as Chairman of GPU but was
the Treasurer of West African  Journalist Association (WAJA). This goes to tell
how Deyda contributed to the  socio economical development of not only Gambia
but the sub-region as a whole.
It is only in the good name of the Gambia and its government that all
efforts are made to bring the killers to book. The Gambia’s press freedom  records
is down and that is not in the interest of anybody in or out of the  country.
The killing of Hydara and the closure of media outlets without a court  order,
for example, The Independent newspaper, the Citizen FM and The Citizen
newspaper and that of SUD FM are all contributing factors to the poor press  freedom
records of our dear country.
Journalists like any other class of  people are not and cannot be above the
laws of the country. If they act against  the law, the law should be applied as
required. Equally if they step on others  rights let the law be applied. This
has always being the position of us as  individuals or as an organized group
at the Gambia Press Union. But on the other  hand if others also violate our
rights the law should be applied.
It is in  this light that we are also calling on the government to do
whatever it will  take them in bringing those who killed Deyda Hydara some three
years ago to  book. I am of the belief that if the files of Deyda are not closed
by now some  improvement would have taken place. I therefore call on the
relevant authorities  to reactivate investigations into the killing of Deyda.
I pray that his  killers are brought to book in the soonest possible time.
And to his family and  colleagues I say keep up the courage.

Lady Alleges Receiving Expired Injection At Poly-Clinic
By Amie  Sanneh

Ndey Jallow a resident of Bakau has shown Foroyaa some vials  of expired
chloroquine which were given to her when she received her medication  from the
poly-clinic in Banjul .
Ndey said she was sick and on Monday 19th  November 2007 and went to the
poly-clinic in Banjul for examination and  treatment. She said she was taken to
the lab and tested positive for malaria.  The Doctor then prescribed chloroquine
injection for her. She said she was given  one dose of injection of the
expired drug. She was given the remaining vials to  be take every six hours.
She said upon reaching home, her husband checked her  drugs and discovered
that the vials of cholroquine, which were given to his  wife, have already
expired since July.
Foroyaa then visited the poly-clinic  to confirm the allegation.
The head of polyclinic said he cannot say anything  and directed this
reporter to the RVTH PRO and the principal pharmacist.
When  the PRO Baboucarr Ngum was visited, he said he did not know anything
about the  expired injection and noted that the chief pharmacist should be
contacted.
Mr. Ngum addressed the patient who was present. He told her that  she should
have reported the matter to the poly-clinic or to the police rather  than to
Foroyaa PRO Ngum referred Foroyaa to the chief pharmacist, Dr.  Marena.
Dr. Marena pointed out that she could not and is not authorized to  give
information to journalists. He said they have a PRO and that the reporter  should
report back to him, noting that the PRO is their mouthpiece and his role  is
to give out information to the public.
The permanent Secretary of state  for health was also contacted to comment on
the issue but said that it is the  responsibility of RVTH to comment.
The Chief Executive Officer of RVTH, Dr.  Mariatou Jallow was also contacted
on several phone calls but was not reachable  and Foroyaa then visited her at
her office on Wednesday but was told by the  acting secretary that she (CEO)
was at a meeting and promised to get back to us.  Foroyaa will publish the
views of the hospital as soon as they are accessible.

NAMS RATIFY ACP-EU REVISED AGREEMENT WITH SKEPTISM
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe

The Revised Partnership Agreement between the African  Carribean, Pacific
(ACP) countries and the European Union (EU) has been ratified  by the National
Assembly on Wednesday, December 12, amidst concerns raised by  some of the
deputies while debating on the agreement.
This Agreement signed  on June 23, 2000 in Cotonou, and revised in Luxembourg
on June 25, 2005 has a  projected lifespan of twenty years and to be reviewed
every five years with this  revision being the first.
The Agreement, commonly called the Cotonou  Agreement, succeeded the ACP-EU
earlier Agreements of Lome and Cotonou.
Musa  Gibril Balla Gaye, the Secretary of State for Finance and Economic
Affairs, who  put the agreement before the National Assembly, said the objective
of the first  revision was to ensure the responsiveness of the Partnership
Agreement to  evolving global environment.
Mr. Gaye assured that the revision has not  changed the core pillars of the
Partnership Agreement, adding that it will  continue to focus on objectives of
poverty reduction, sustainable development  and the progressive integration of
the ACP states into the global  market.
“The revision recognises the Millennium Development Goals, the  principal
target for development as set out by the United Nations Conference to  guide
ACP-EU Cooperation,” said the Finance Secretary of State.
He said the  agreement has a political dimension which has been enlarged to
include security  issues and collaboration in the fight against terrorism.
“Financial and  technical assistance in the area of cooperation to counter
the proliferation of  weapons of Mass Destruction is also agreed,” he added.
The Secretary of State  also said the European Commission (EC) will put in
place specific instruments  for financing different sectors from those intended
for he financing of the  ACP-EU Cooperation.
On the deepening of the participatory process, Mr. Gaye  said the provisions
have included facilitating access of non-state actors and  local government
authorities to indicative programme resources under a strategy  to be approved
by the commission on the ACP states concerned.
He explained  that the result of the revision included development strategies
such as  inclusion of the Millennium Development Goals in the preamble of the
partnership  agreement, re-affirming the partnership commitment to the goal.
Promotion of  the fight against poverty related disease, the protection of
sexual and  reproductive health and lives of women are some of the areas agreed
on according  to the Secretary of State.
Mr. Gaye continued to say that the promotion of  the participation of young
people in public life and on ACP-EC Cooperation was  also agreed upon,
including the promotion of traditional knowledge as part of  economic development.
SoS Gaye said: “The revised implementation and  management procedures
include; strengthening the strategic role of the National  Authorising Officer for
the European Development Fund.”
He said for the tenth  European Development Fund (EDF) financial resources,
an indicative amount of  twenty-two billon six hundred and eight-six million
Euros had been earmarked for  the period 200 to 200. The ratification of the
revised agreement has not been  done since its revision in 2005 and The Gambia
was only having up the end of  this month to do so.
Netty Baldeh the National Assembly Member for Tumana who  seconded the motion
called on his fellows to ratify the agreement without which  The Gambia would
not access the tenth European Development Fund?
Mr. Baldeh  said that relationship between the EU and donor agencies is based
on a  “Master-servant relationship” but this agreement is on equal
partnership with  the EU, and needs a swift ratification.
Contributing to the debate, the  member for Foni Jarrol, Borry Colley, said
one of the targets in the  MDGs-Cooperating with pharmaceutical companies in
the provision of access to  affordable essential drugs in developing countries
has not been met.
The Foni  Jarrol NAM expressed fear over the next phase of signing the ACP-EU
Economic  Partnership Agreement (EPAs) by the end of this year, stressing
that integration  of regional groupings such as the Economic Community of West
African States  (ECOWAS) should be the priority at the moment.
“The drafting of the agreement  should be in the best interest of the Gambia.
These are some of the things I  want the SoS to look at ” said Colley
Honourable Colley decried the possible  dismantling of customs duty and the
lack of value added products, which, he  said, would have a severe impact on
the economy.
He linked his argument to  the present day scenario where most of the local
poultry farmers and business  people have collapsed as a result of the surge of
cheap chicken products into  The Gambian market.
Colley also said the liberalization of the services  sector and the
protection of sensitive products are crucial matters that need  attention.
He added that the EU and developing countries of the ACP cannot  compete in a
market on an equal basis, “They are just like someone in the sky  and we are
on the ground.”
Cherno Cham the member for Lower Niumi said the  leadership should be
cautioned and to consider the interest of  Africa.
Honourable Cham said the only way to development is the provision of
industrial development in order to be equal partners with the EU.
He said the  initial agreement ratified by the National Assembly before he
became a deputy  should not have been ratified, noting that this one too they
have no choice but  to ratify it since it is given a certificate of urgency.
At this point, the  Speaker, Fatoumata Jahumpha Ceesay ordered Mr. Cham to
sit down, stressing that  member should not debate on anything about a
certificate of emergency which she  said is not what is on the floor.
“Let us not go to an agenda that we are not  dealing with. What we are
dealing with is a motion to ratify the revised Cotonou  Agreement between African,
Carribbean and Pacific countries and the European  Union. That is what is on
the floor,” stressed the Speaker.
As the Lower  Niumi NAM resumed his contribution, he apologised and advised
his colleagues to  go through the paper for improvement before taking his seat.
Sidia Jatta of  Wuli West wondered what is in the Agreement for a country
like the Gambia,  particularly when there is emphasis on development, fight
against terrorism and  fight against weapons of mass destructions, the
conditionalities of democracy  and the rule of law.
Honourable Jatta said: ‘These things make me angry,  particularly when they
come from people (European who are partly, if not mainly,  responsible for the
poverty of this continent Africa. The continent has become  poor mainly
because of their colonial gerrymandering. And if these people now  come and tell me
they are going to develop the African continent, my country the  Gambia, where
it has taken them for hundreds of years without a serious  institute of
learning, and the same people now tell me that they are very much  interested in
developing this country to reduce poverty and even to eradicated  it.’
He said that The Gambia in Africa cannot stand alone like an island but
added that ‘independence means the capacity to learn to stand on your  feet’.
Mr. Jatta said developing countries really need help but that should  be
secondary.
‘We the emerging nations from colonization and colonial  education came in to
a very monstrous world. Monstrous world because those who  colonised us knew
after independence that there needs to be a new type of  relationship and
since they are good at planning they timed for the emerging  nations which are
coming into this monstrous system of theirs generated  economically by them’, the
Wuli West NAM argued.
He explained that the new  generation of African politicians had a tremendous
work to do which they could  not do and those who came after them must carry
forward that struggle.
Mr.  Jatta said he doubted how the EU will help fit the ACP countries into
the global  economy when here in the Gambia, for instance, selling groundnut to
the EU  market is becoming hard every now and then.
He said the developing world do  not only need to improve its production
capacity but to add value to its  products, so that those countries can also
compete fairly in the market.
‘We  need to export and our exports need to be more than what we import, then
we can  have a better economy. Then we have value for our money. If you look
at our  import items we are importing a lot of food. We don’t need to import
food in  this county if we plan better to produce what we want.
Mr. Jatta said what  angers him is that Europe and America are ‘ armed to the
teeth’ and they don’t  want others to be armed, adding that they preach
anti-terrorism when they did  condone and connive with those who de-stabilised
progressive regimes in Africa  in the 1960s.
The minority leader and member for Kiang West, Momodou Sanneh,  who was brief
in his contribution, asked if the EU could be in an equal  partnership with
African countries.
Honourable Sanneh said after hundreds of  years of colonialism, the Europeans
left little behind and which they want to  get again.He also said that
regional organizations like Ecowas need to be  strengthen and empowered rather than
going for arrangements like this one.  Abdoulie Saine of Banjul South argued
that the manufacturing sector of the poor  countries needs to be built up in
order for them to compete the Europeans and  that ECOWAS needs to move ahead as
one bloc rather than being divided into zones  with little impact globally.
Babanding Daffeh of Kiang Central said  economically no African country could
be compared to the poorest country in the  European Union, which is a clear
manifestation of the inequality
between the  two continents.

AT THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
GOOD ROADS ARE  INDISPENSABLE TO DEVELOPMENT
In his contribution to the ratification  of the loan agreement between the
Republic of The Gambia and the Islamic  Development Bank amounting to US$7.705
million, a loan meant for the  construction of the Westfield- Sukuta road
Project, Sidia reminded his  colleagues about the importance of good roads. Sidia
pointed out that roads have  both social and economic values and that this
particular road, the  West-Field-Sukuta stretch,  has tremendous social value in
addition to its  economic values. He indicated that the stretch between
Westfield-Sukuta, if  reconstructed,  would go a long way in minimizing the heavy
burden that is  now on the Westfield-Brikama highway. He said that at around 6pm
upwards one  gets trapped in a jam for hours, but that if the Westfield-Sukuta
road is  properly re-constructed, one will either have the choice to take
that road or go  through the Brikama highway. That is why, he noted, the
reconstruction of this  road is crucial to the people of Serrekunda and the whole of
the area. Sidia  also suggested for the need to have a new economic approach
towards road  construction in this country. He opined that it is better to build
a very  expensive and solid road than ones that are poorly built and are not
going to  last long. Sidia expressed delight that the Secretary of State for
Finance  alluded to such a thing.
He noted that if one considers the Brikama  highway,  one would be surprised
to discover that the bend at Old Yundum is  being reconstructed. This move, he
said, gives the impression that the when road  was previously being
constructed, the whole topography of the area was not  properly studied and taken into
account; that the bend of the road was slanted  and that when you have an
accident there, the vehicle will roll over and over.  “I’m sure this is what they
must have realised to see the need to re-shape it  and that is why I will
make reference to paragraph 5.01 article 5.”
He  pointed out that article 5.01 indicates, among other things, that “to
execute  the project and to conduct its operational affairs through the executing
agency  with due diligence and efficiency in accordance with sound financial
engineering  and sound engineering and economic practices.” Sidia emphasised
that he would  want that to be taken into serious consideration in this
particular road, which  he said is dear to all. He argued that he is saying this
because he understood  that the newly constructed stretch between Kerewan and
Farafenni is being  complained about already and it is not even a year old. He
noted that roads are  so expensive that when they are made, they should last
longer, otherwise, they  could not allow their SOS to always go round asking for
loans to construct  roads. Sidia emphasised that their fundamental objective
and focus should be  that this country becomes self-sufficient in order to be
able to derive funds to  construct roads. “That is more sustainable!” He
asserted.

“Democracy in a Republic means the sovereignty of the  people”- Halifa
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Halifa Sallah has said that an open  society is built through the
transformation of information into knowledge and  knowledge into culture. He expressed
reservation regarding comments made by a  European Parliamentarian and some
delegates that democracy is a process which  countries in Africa are likely to
move towards on a gradual basis. Halifa  emphasised that Democracy is a
phenomenon that has concrete characteristics  which are universal in application. He
indicated that what takes different forms  according to the particularity of
countries are the mechanisms employed to  consolidate democracy. He called on the
delegates to distinguish the essence of  democracy and the mechanisms
designed to consolidate it. He went on to explain  what he meant by asserting that
democracy in a sovereign republic means  sovereignty of the people; that
democracy exists where people control power and  where it is exercised by
representatives in their interest and through their  consent. He said that this truth is
universal.
Halifa was addressing a  regional conference organised by Open Society
Initiative for West Africa, in  Dakar, on Monday 3 December. Mr. Sallah also
presented a document on ‘The  Electoral Landscape in West Africa-Actors and
Interactions’. The following is  the introduction to his paper:

1. Introduction
Elections are not  simply about political parties and leaders in their
principal sense. They are  about the exercise of power by the people. Elections are
instruments of  democratic governance. Hence they should not be ends in
themselves but means  through which a people exercise direction and control over the
affairs of a  State. It, therefore, stands to reason that a discourse on the
West African  electoral landscape should amount to a survey on how the people
in West Africa  exercise direction and control over the manner of governance
of their  countries.
Where elections are taking place periodically, one should  interrogate who is
actually exercising power, how it is exercised and in whose  interest. This
will determine whether elections are serving the purpose for  which they are
intended in a democratic society or are mere rituals, which are  performed
periodically to enable those who govern to give a cloak of legitimacy  to their
misrule and pay lip service to government by popular consent.
In  short, elections presuppose the ownership of power by the people and
accord  mandate, consent or authorisation to exercise such power by chosen
representatives to promote the common interest. Elections are the fore  instruments
for the assertion of the sovereignty of the people. It is the  instrument of
last resort, in a check and balance system, aimed at curbing abuse  of
authority, lack of accountability, transparency and probity; total disregard  for
fundamental rights and the rule of law; untrammelled display of absolutism  and
impunity or putting an end to bad governance or misrule, in a peaceful  manner.
It is therefore important to underscore that elections occupy a high  grade
and upper most position in the hierarchy of the instruments of democratic
governance. This also underscores the importance of this  conference.
Elections and democracy are irretrievably linked. Elections and  democracy
first emerged during the struggle between rulers for supremacy. It was  first
used by rulers of antiquity as a tool for expanding the circle of  loyalists who
would be interested in the consolidation of their power base. This
constituted the first phase in the evolution of Democratic institutions and the
electoral processes which underpin their existence.

However the  evolution of Electoral systems took a second phase as a
by-product of the  struggle between rulers and their subjects. This struggle first
started in a  peaceful manner with the issuing of petitions aimed at the
establishment of  juridical guards and fences to check or restrain the absolutism and
impunity of  rulers. These peaceful acts of issuing petitions ultimately led
to the violent  act of revolutions to overthrow monarchs who paid a deaf ear to
the demands of  the people and the consolidation of democracy and elections
as principles and  mechanism for the peaceful administration of states. This
paper seeks to show  that the evolution of democracy and elections on the West
African landscape has  followed the same historical trend. It provides
epistemological evidence to show  how French colonial Governments granted limited
franchise and to privileged  urban settlements in the colonies with the aim of
assimilating the elites in the  colonies into their system of governance so as to
prolong their colonial  domination. It further indicates how the British
colonial administration created  consultative mechanisms in the form of executive
and legislative councils which  had advisory functions to involve local elites
living in major urban settlements  in the operation of the colonial
administration to facilitate reform and make  colonialism acceptable. This paper
provides evidence to confirm that it was the  resistance of the colonial
administration to the demands for substantive  democratic participation and the
application of the elective principle in  creating representative institutions in the
colonies which gave rise to  petitions and revolutions to put an end to
colonial rule and thus gave birth to  Universal suffrage, Democracy and Republican
existence.
The paper will  indicate how resistance to the enlargement of the power of
the people and the  denial of their sovereign right to determine their manner of
government, through  periodic and genuine elections and democratic
participation after formal  independence had been granted, gave rise to instability and
revolutions.
This  paper, therefore, hypothesises that the consolidation of the
sovereignty of the  people, the creation of the atmosphere for the holding free and fair
elections  and ensuring the democratic participation in managing the affairs
of any state  is a barometer for its stability and sustainable development.
Conversely, the  negation of the sovereignty of the people; the violation of
fundamental rights,  the obstruction of free and fair elections and democratic
participation is a  barometer for instability and revolution. It concludes by
providing adequate  epistemological evidence to prove that if West Africa seeks
to enjoy political  stability and sustainable development, its electoral
landscape must be enveloped  by the canopy of genuine periodic elections which
would give rise to the  undiluted choice of the people based on unalloyed national
interest and must  further ensure their full participation in the
administrative life of their  societies as the depository of the sovereignty of Nations.

Food  Crises Monitoring Prevention Training On The Way
By Amie  Sanneh

The permanent Secretary Department of State for Fisheries  and Water
Resources, Lamin Nyabally, has said that preventing food crises cannot  be done
effectively without adequate and accurate data or information. He said  food
security is a niche in which people do not line in hunger or fear of  starvation. He
added that food security exists when all the people have  sufficient, safe and
nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food  preferences for an
active and healthy life.
Mr. Nyabally was speaking at the  opening of a weeklong
sensitisation-training workshop on Food Crises Monitoring  Prevention in the Gambia, from 10 to 14
December, 2007, at the Paradise Suites  Hotel.
The PS for water resources further remarked that food security is  synonymous
to national security.
He noted that studies conducted under the  ‘Medium Term Plan for Development
in the context of vision 2020’ in 2005  indicate that 47 percent of the
population live below the poverty line and 30  percent below food poverty line. This
statistics, he said, is of great concern  to government and all hands must be
on deck in addressing them.
‘Since the  attainment of food self-sufficiency and food security in the sub
region  including the Gambia is a sine qua non for sustainable development,
the need for  timely, effective and accurate early warning and food crises
management systems  cannot be over-emphasized.
Mr. Nyabally posited that in a region where food  production and the majority
of livelihoods depend on rainfall, the need for the  monitoring of their food
production base is necessary.
Speaking earlier, the  Deputy Permanent Secretary for Agriculture and
Permanent Secretary for  CCONACILSS, said the training will enhance the creation of a
network in the  region to better coordinate joint efforts and actions to
pre-empt food crises in  the region. He said that at the end of the program
participants are expected to  continue training themselves further with instruments
that are going to be given  to them.
Amie Jarra chaired the program.

Gambians In UK Donate Over 16,000 Insecticide Treated Bed Nets
By  Bubacarr K. Sowe & Saikou Ceesay

The Gambia United Society-UK,  a charitable organisation in the United
Kingdom, on Tuesday, donated 16,600  insecticide treated bed nets to organisations
involved in the crusade against  malaria.
The charity, with a membership of about five hundred Gambians and  friends of
The Gambia based in the UK, was represented by its spokesman, Saikou  Jaiteh,
at the handing over ceremony held at the Catholic Relief Service (CRS)
warehouse in Kanifing.
The beneficiaries that received the treated bed-nets  are The Association of
Youths Against Malaria (TAYAM) with 4200 nets, Smile  Gambia with 5700 nets
and the Gambian Red Cross Society with 6700 nets.
“You  have to sacrifice in what you are doing and help others,” said Mr.
Jaiteh,  adding that even if they saved one life, their objective is realised.
Adama  Jagne-Sonko, Deputy Director of the National Malaria Control Programme
(NMCP),  said the nets would go a long way in consolidating the fight against
malaria.
The acting Project Director of Tayam said his association has targeted
seventeen villages in the Lower River Region, with pregnant women, children and
disabled people being the recipients of Tayam’s share of the donation.
Ebrima  Balla Joof of CRS said The Gambians in the UK have shown a good stand
and urged  them to continue doing the good job not only in the area of
malaria control but  also other killer diseases in the country.

Ambassador Signs $40,000 Projects With Communities
By Annia B.  Gaye

The Ambassador of the United States of America in Banjul in  partnership with
local communities on Wednesday 12 December signed a $40,000  contract with
ten communities in The Gambia, in a ceremony held at the Embassy  on Kairaba
Avenue.
Speaking at the signing ceremony, Janko Fofana, Programme  Coordinator, noted
that the ambassador’s self-help programme is an ongoing  project with the
embassy in which they select projects from the communities to  sponsor. He
further noted that the projects are community initiated, which are  sustainable and
geared towards improving the lives of the people in The Gambia.  He stated
that the projects include school fencing, construction of hand pump  wells, and
power tillers. He said they are here to create human contacts between  the US
and the Gambia. He urged the beneficiaries to work together inorder to be  one
and to achieve what they want for the future. He concluded by expressing his
hope that the projects would successfully be concluded.
Representatives of  the beneficiaries with the US Charge d’Affaires, Brian
Bachman, signed the  contract documents.
The ten beneficiaries include the National Environment  Agency, Kanifing
Municipality; Kuntair VDC in Jokadu, NBR; Panneh Ba in Lower  Baddibu, NBR; Kerr
Pateh in  Central Baddibu, NBR; Sohm Village in Kombo  East, WR; Dongoroba
Lower Basic School in LRR; Kudang Village in Niamina East,  LRR; Panchang Madifana
in Upper Saloum, CRR and Koba Kunda Village in Fulladu  East, URR.
The projects for women rice farmers include cereal bank  construction and
provision of milling machines.
Mr. Bachman said that they  would provide a similar amount of $40,000 to fund
projects under the democracy  and human rights funds. He challenged
communities who benefited from the  projects to see the projects as theirs and
participate fully in its  implementation. The Charge d’Affaires of the US embassy
stressed the importance  of the projects. “Ownership is important and you are the
owners of the project,  we are just helping you with funds based on your
request for assistance with the  embassy,” he concluded.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
With
Suwaibou Touray
AFRICA’S HUMAN RIGHTS  CENTRE HEADQUARTERED IN BANJUL;
Putting Jawara’s Record Under Scrutiny
In  the last edition of Focus, we have narrated the un-official information
reported  by several Newspapers relating to Sir Dawda’s surreptitious meetings
with the  opposition NCP party leader, Sheriff Mustapha Dibba both in Sussex,
England, and  in State House, Banjul.
We have stopped at where we commented that after the  death of the late
Sheriff Sisay, Minister of Finance, President Jawara defied  all criticisms and
appointed Saikou Sulayman Sabally as Finance Minister. This  baffled many people,
which prompted them to ask, “How could someone who was  accused of corruption
and proven to be corrupt in a court of law, be appointed a  cabinet minister,
let alone, be elevated to take charge of a country’s  treasury?
We commented that even Jawara’s closest allies could not understand  his
rationale for appointing people to positions of responsibility  anymore.
Let us continue from where we stopped.
Does  Senegal/Mauritania crisis Influence The Gambia?
By about May 1989, a crisis  erupted between Senegal and Mauritania where the
people of both countries living  near the border engaged in serious fights.
The crisis could not be ignored by  either state.
According to the Nation newspaper, the situation should not be  ignored by
the Gambia, but Sir Dawda, who was the Chairman of the Economic  Community of
West African States , ECOWAS, has travelled away from the troubles,  which many
thought was an economic crisis. The Nation did not see it proper for  him to
travel away from the crisis, because as they wrote, he was dealing with
matters that were irrelevant to the economic situation he left behind. The  Nation
observed that the crisis between Senegal and Mauritania was leading to
sectarianism that was spreading out from the centre of commercial activities,  such
as Banjul, to the rural areas with the slogan “strangers get out of  here”.
This crisis was followed by another minor contradiction between the
Senegalese soldiers and the Police at Brikama, when the Senegalese soldiers
surrounded their station to free their arrested colleague. This occurred on 17  April
1989 and was an incident that  contributed in reducing the euphoria  that
surrounded the Senegambia confederation. The euphoria was slowly dying down  due,
mainly, to the intensive campaign launched by the PDOIS and the Foroyaa  that
was promoting for  dissolution because of its bureaucratic set up and  the lack
of equality between the two countries.
SeneGambia Confederation  Shaky, As Soldiers Surround Police Station
Tension was on the rise, not only  within the populace, but also within the
security forces of both countries.  While the Senegal/ Mauritania clash was
being reported, the Confederal army  based in Brikama had a contradiction, which
led to the seizure of the Brikama  Police Station. The force, which was under
the command of the Senegalese,  surrounded the station to free or rescue their
colleague, who was arrested by  the police for suspicion of possessing the
marijuana drug. The day in question  witnessed the severe manhandling of the
Police officers by the soldiers who  forcibly freed their colleague. This had
sparked a lot of speculations,  considering the bloody clashes between Senegal
and Mauritania that was sparked  off by a minor border incident. It was being
speculated that a similar thing  could also happen here, if Gambians continued
to be molested and humiliated by  non-Gambians in their own country.
The sentiments were expressing feelings of  bitterness as the Gambians
realized that the Senegalese soldiers were what the  Nation described as a defacto
occupying force in the country. The Nation  maintained that the Senegalese
never had the mandate from the Gambian masses be  in the country; that it was only
from the political authorities and that  therefore the limit to which
Gambians could be pushed around ought to be made  clear to them. Despite the bitter
truth, the Nation postulated, the people were  prepared to accommodate them
only if they had to respect our norms and values  and right as a distinct nation.
The Nation predicted a gloomy future for the  Senegalo-Gambian relationship
should the Senegalese refuse to accept Gambia as a  nation and choose to
disobey its laws and to behave arrogantly like an occupying  army.
The Nation reported the incident that occurred between Mauritania and
Senegal and said it sparked narrow nationalist feelings and was exploited by
criminal elements and that  both Senegaese and Mauritanian authorities cast  a blind
eye to the situation until it exploded into a violent inter-communal
conflict resulting to deaths and displacement of  thousands of nationals of  the two
countries and the desruction of millions of Dalasi worth of  properties.
Many felt that Jawara, as chair of the West African Economic  Community, was
in the best position to mediate in the conflict and rather than  doing just
that  he instead sent delegates to visit and sympathize with the  belligerents.
Foroyaa on the hand commented that a government, which cannot  rely on its
forces to maintain internal security, was not an independent  government.
According to Foroyaa many governments exist,which have so mismanaged  their
economies that they could no longer provide jobs to the vast majority of  people, thus
allowing the armed forces to be the major employer. Foroyaa said  the low
earnings of many of the soldiers and the tough life which goes with  military
life inject much frustration in such young people. Foroyaa argued that  some of
these governments take these young people abroad to honour their  military
agreements; that some do die leaving poor families without proper  support; that
some find themselves in situations where they are not welcomed.  These
situations, Foroyaa stressed, make the young soldiers feel  alienated  and frustrated
which lead them to commit atrocities whenever they become  desperate. To
address their frustrations, many become alcoholics, drug addicts  and followers of
prostitutes. Foroyaa explained that a great amount of  destruction is being
done to young people by governments, which are not  sensitive to the needs and
aspirations of the people.
Foroyaa also concluded  that it is important that when soldiers find
themselves in another country, they  should try to conduct themselves in a way that
would not win them hatred; that  they should know that the foreign country is
not their own and should respect  the people they meet and never allow
themselves to trample on the dignity of  such people.
Foroyaa played down the narrow nationalist sentiments and  asserted the fact
that only the Gambian people could make the Gambia stable and  only the
Senegalese people could make Senegal stable.
The president, at the  time, was invited to inaugurate the Headquarters of
the commission of Human and  People’s Rights, located at Kairaba Avenue in
Banjul. This commission is a  culmination of several years of negotiations by the
OAU, resulting in the  adoption of the African Charter on Human and People’s
Rights, called the Banjul  Charter. Banjul had been chosen as the headquarters
of the commission because  President Jawara has manouvered to make a name for
himself, internationally, as  a champion of human rights. However, this
international image of his does not  seem to reflect on every aspect of the internal
politics of his  regime.
Jawara’s Democracy On The Spot Light
The Nation wrote that  even though it was true that the Gambia was a
multi-party state, what was a  plain was that, whilst the ruling PPP was given
unrestricted leverage to  operate, the opposition parties had a lot of hurdles placed
on their way. They  also observed that, whilst the PPP could hold meetings
anywhere at anytime and  got unrestricted access to the government media, such
as radio Gambia, the  opposition needed police permits to hold meetings and to
pay announcements on  the radio for their meetings and even such radio
announcements were not  automatic as they must be approved by the minister of
information before the  public radio could announce them.
The Nation equally observed that whilst the  PPP meetings and activities were
fully covered by Radio Gambia and the  government press, it was taboo to
report anything said or done by the  opposition, except when a member of the
opposition crosses over to the PPP, in  which case, it was usually announced for
about a week. The Nation which puts a  spot light on Jawara’s ‘human rights’
record observed that during elections, the  PPP was not only given unrestricted
access to the radio and the print press, but  their candidates and agents were
also given free use of government vehicles and  other state resouirces to
conduct their campaign. The opposition on the other  hand, the Nation observed,
were permitted to use the Radio only for few minutes  of airtime  and only on
the very last day of the campaign; that even this  inadequate airtime is
sometimes denied to some opposition parties, such as the  PDOIS, during the last
general election because  president Jawara said they  did not have a member in
the House of Representatives. The Nation stressed that  that was quite
ridiculous, since no party was supposed to have members in it  after its closure.
Such incidents, as well as the treatment meted out to the  civil servants who
were being hounded out of their jobs merely for being  suspected of
sympathizing with the opposition, are not uncommon, the Nation  wrote.
How about the phoney elections of Chiefs and village heads (Alkalolu)  where
only compound owners, who are men, were entitled to vote, whilst the
majority, including the women and the property-less youths were denied the
opportunity to determine who should be their leaders.
The Editor wondered  whether anyone could classify such a situation as being
compatible with Human  Rights and Democracy. The Editor asserted that these
and a host of examples were  all clear manifestations that the internal politics
of the PPP regime did not  reflect the international human rights image of
the Gambia that Jawara is  portraying.
The paper then asked whether the Banjul based Commission would be  bold
enough to point out such human rights violations by the regime.
See  next edition as we go closer to narrate events of the late 1989.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
With Amie Sillah
Victim Of Circumstances  ‘AiGaaf’
Part 4
Mum at Her Office
Ebrima  bought a car for Fatima. Mum checked the papers and detected a lot of
money  spent. She enquired. Ebrima told her the fact. “I disapprove! Why
should you buy  your wife a car? She does not need it. There are already three
cars in the  family.” Mom argued. “Which three cars? Are available? The three
cars are yours.  Hojah’s and mine. How can Fatim use any of them? Yes, she needs
a car to collect  Baby Mariam and to go on some household errands. You have
already grounded her  as a housewife. Is that not enough punishment? “Ebrima
argued.” I cared less!  You have to be deducted what you owe the company. We
will deduct fifty  percent’.
“No Mom! You can’t. How do you expect me to survive?” “Do I care!  It must
be done period!” Mom roared. Ebrima broke down and emotionally appealed  to
his mom. “Why mom? Why? Why do you hate me so? Your only son? My wife does
nothing to you. You profess to be a Muslim who have performed all her five
pillars of Islam and yet you decide to treat a helpless orphan with scorn and
despise. Mom! Please accept my wife if you love me as your only son!” He stooped
before his mom.
Her heart melted and she raised him up and embraced him. They  both shed
emotional tears between mom and son.

The Truce
Mom  became exceptionally nice to Fatima. It was too good, to be true. Fatima
treaded  cautiously.

Mom Joins The Couple
Fatima, Baby Mariam and  Ebrima were having their lunch at the dining room.
Mom came to join them. Fatima  was surprised. She started to leave. Mom begged
her to stay. “Stay! I’ve come to  join you. I am sorry. I apologize for my
rude behaviour towards you. You are a  nice girl. My son loves and adores you.
Your misfortunes are not your fault but  Allah’s making. Take heart, , from
henceforth I’ll be the mom you lost. I  appreciate all your efforts since you
entered my house. “Mom started to talk  about her family. Her late husband and E’
s childhood days. She told Fatima  Ebrima’s childhood history. His strong and
weak points. She laughed over it and  wanted Fatima to share in the fun. She
was timid. “I’ll not eat you up, relax!”  Ebrima started to leave. Fatima’s
uncertainty intensified. “Cool down girl! She  is mom. She’ll not eat you up.
You can scream if she wants to.” EB teased his  wife. “You are in safe
hands. I am Aja Yam, your mother-in-law!” Mom tried to  calm her nerves.

Hojah Is Surprised
Hojah came down the stairs  and found mom chatting jovially with Fatima. She
is the devil advocate. She does  not want to give Fatima any peace in their
house. She frown her face at mom’s  changed attitude. She alerted mom. “ Mom!
Can I see you a second?” She became  impatient. Mom understood her and said. “I
’ll join you in a second. Be patient!”  She spent some more minutes just to
reassure Fatima that she  has changed.  She then excused herself and left to
answer to Hojah.

Changed  Attitude
Fatima exclaimed as she shut her bedroom door and locked it behind  her. She
embraced EB and said. “Congratulations. My heart! Happy wedding  anniversary!”
 EB did not get it at first. He checked the calendar. Fatima took  it away
from him. “It’s a metaphor! Can’t you get it? I mean mom’s attitude. Is  it
for real!” EB confirmed. “How did it happened?” Fatima asked. “I emotionally
broke down at her feet and appealed to her conscience; let’s see what happens.
 My only fear is Hojah. She can change her back. But before then let’s enjoy
our  little peace”. The couples enjoyed each other’s warmth which was denied
to them  for a long time. They over slept in each other’s arms.

Mum With  Hojah
The serpent scolded mom. “Has she bewitched you? Why the attitude  changes?
She is “Aigaaf”. She came to destroy our family. Her spell will not  catch me.
My skin is too thick”. “Don’t say that. I am on “Maslaha” (diplomacy).  I
want my son back. I can only do so by being nice to his bride”. “I don’t care
mom! Get me out of your game. I’ll never accept Fatima. I hate her with a
passion. She have stolen my only brother’s heart”. Hojah was  adamant.

Eating Out
As a sign of Reconciliation, the family went  out to eat in an exotic
restaurant. Hojah kept to herself and refused to mingle  with the rest of the family.
EB tried to enter jokes with her but she rebuffed  him. Mom tried her best to
be on top throughout the evening. She urged the rest  of the family to ignore
Hojah. She retired early into the car to avoid EB and  Fatima. Fatima held
her guard and enjoyed the evening. Hojah refused her hand of  friendship.

Asks For Lift
Fatima was to collect Baby Mariam from  school. Hojah  was going out with her
car. Fatima asked for a lift to  collect Baby Mariam from school. She rushed
and past her. She refused to stop  and pick her up. Fatima was embarrassed.
She went act to get a cab. She was  frustrated. She scolded Abdou their gateman
out of frustration.

FIRE DESTROYS FOODSTUFFS
AT DAMPHA KUNDA
By Musa  Barrow

A devastating fire had engulfed farm products Dampha Kunda  villagers in the
Tumana District, Upper River Region last week resulting in the  destruction of
foodstuffs belonging to villagers according to reports emanating  from that
village.
The fire incident was reported to have occurred during the  night between the
villages of Dampha Kunda and Chamoi.
Apparently, no one  knows what really triggered the fire. The villagers were
said to be in their  compounds when they suddenly saw fire in the outskirts of
their villages. As  these villagers rushed to put off the fire, they realised
that their farm  products, which were not yet transported home, were on fire.
The products left  to dry included groundnuts, maize and corn.
According to our source, the  intervention of fire fighters called from Basse
and the villagers could not stop  the fire which was apparently fueled by
dried grasses thereby rapidly extending  its territory.
The ravaging fire was said to have raged throughout that night  and was put
under control on the subsequent day.
They victims who lost their  foodstuffs to the fire included Alhagie Sanusi
Jabby and Sunkary Jabby. The  above-mentioned two have had their entire corn
produce burnt down. Mr. Demba  Jaiteh a maize farmer also lost his entire maize
produce to the fire.
Two  women Manyima Conteh and Pulo Jabby had their groundnut heaps reduced to
 ashes.
Reacting to this outbreak through a telephone conversation the husband  of
Pulo Jabby, a victim Mr. Alasana Ceesay said the burning down of his wife’s
groundnuts came as a lethal blow to his entire family. He added that it would
have adverse impact on his family, as their very survival is threatened.
He  continued by saying that the sheer force of this fire is unprecedented,
as  nothing like it had ever occurred in the past.
Ceesay finally appealed to all  for assistance to the victims.

COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LAMENT PAYMENT OF DUES AT GARAGES
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay

Commercial (Van) drivers plying between Banjul and Serekunda  have complained
bitterly against what they called ‘a cheating system’ meted on  them at the
Banjul and Serekunda garages.
According to some of the drivers,  they are asked to pay D10 dalasis to the ‘
chef de garages’ on each of their  trips. They lamented that they are never
given any ticket for what they are  paying. They pointed out that the ‘chef de
garages’ are employing harsh methods  to compel them to pay for their demands.
They complained that the boys of the  ‘chef de garages’ will block the road
and forcefully ask them to pay the money;  that when they ask for the reasons
for paying the amount demanded, they would  not get any tangible response; that
the only response they would get from them  is `that is not your business’.
The drivers explained that on many occasions,  drivers would engage in a brawl
with the money collectors.
Most of the  drivers pointed accusing fingers to the police and the Gambia
National Transport  Control Authority (GNTCA). They alleged that the two are in
collaboration with  the ‘chef de garages’ to collect monies from them. They
also questioned the  significance of paying such amounts to the `chef de garages
’ when their vehicles  don’t spend the nights at the garage for safe
keeping. They alleged that the  monies are shared among the  `chef de garages’ and
old and pensioned  drivers.
The police spokesperson, Inspector Sulayman Secka, brushed aside the
allegations against the police. He said the police have no hand in the affairs  of
drivers and ‘chef de garages’. He maintained that they are not aware of this
sitution and are not a party to it. Inspector Secka opined that it might be
that  the initiative was taken by the ‘chef de garages’.
When contacted the  president of GNTCA, Mr. Mumini Sey, said it is an
obligation on every commercial  vehicle to pay dues to the garage when drivers load
their passengers. He said  that this is part of the garage rules. He denied his
organisation’s involvement  in the affairs.
Mr. Sey also denied the allegation that his organisation  takes monies
collected from drivers.
He indicated that he understands that  monies collected from drivers are kept
in an account; that they also contribute  in constructing a toilet at the Banj
ul garage. Mr. Say denies that the ‘chef de  garage’ are entirely depending
on the subventions given to them. He said it is  not compulsory for vehicle
owners who do not load at the garage to pay the  amount. He maintained that the
transport union has no hand in the affairs of the  ‘chef de garages’ and the
way they conduct their affairs in the  garages.

BCC Owed D126,675 In Rates Arrears
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe

Banjul City Council (BCC) is owed about D126,675 by compound  owners in rates
arrears, the Secretary of State for Local Government, Lands and  Religious
Affairs told the National Assembly recently. He said this while  answering a
question from the National Assembly Member for Banjul South,  Baboucarr Nyang,
who wanted to know the amount of the outstanding debts owed to  the BCC by rate
defaulters
On the compensation package payment following the  compulsory acquisition of
landed properties of the Gambia Port Authority in  pursuit of its expansion
project, SoS Ismaila Sambou said “As part of the Banjul  Port expansion project,
a total of 34 compounds in Half &shy;Die have been  acquired by The Gambia
Ports Authority for which compensation will be paid.”
He also promised that the BCC will continue to pursue the payment of these
amounts.

SHERIFF MINTEH’S MURDER TRIAL ADJOURNED
By Saikou  Ceesay

The protracted trial of Dodou Janneh, alais Dudu boy, for  the murder of
Sheriff Minteh could not proceed on Tuesday 12 December at the  Bundung Magistrates
’ Court as the accused person was not in court. Magistrate  Kumba Sillah
Camara said that it is the duty of the police prosecutor to ensure  that the
accused person is brought before the court.
She further stated that  despite the efforts the court had made, it couldn’t
proceed with the case with  the absence of the accused person.
Prosecutor Samateh represented the IGP.  The case is to resume on Tuesday 18
December 2007.