GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Last-Card <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:48:58 -0800
Presidential Message: Eid Al-Fitr

I send warm greetings to American Muslims and Muslims around the world observing Eid al-Fitr, the Festival of Breaking the Fast.
Eid al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan, a time of prayer, reflection, and fasting. It is the holiest month of the Muslim year. To celebrate this holiday, many Muslims gather in their homes and mosques to thank God for His blessings and His help in keeping the fast. Muslims also demonstrate their compassion by reaching out to the less fortunate and giving gifts of money or food to help those in need. This year, many American Muslims have reached out to the victims of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma and to those affected by the devastating earthquake in South Asia. Their contributions have been generous and reflect the important values shared by all Americans.
Our Nation is blessed to count many Muslims among our fellow citizens. As Americans, we share a commitment to family, a belief in God's justice and man's moral responsibility, and hope for a future of peace and tolerance.
Laura and I send our best wishes for a joyful celebration. Eid Mubarak.

GEORGE W. BUSH