GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:06:48 +0000
It is time for our farmers to get into action and demand to be paid.  It
pains me to see them appeal to this government that they help put in office
and three years running they are given an IOU.  As long as they keep on
sending these soft pitches, they shall remain unpaid.  The "Not My Problem"
syndrome in our society means that none will come to their aid.  If this
government did not pay them three years running, what makes them think that
they are going to be paid the fourth, fifth, etc.?
See the below article from the Daily Observer.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

Alleged D1.5 Million Embezzlement At FACS

The Daily Observer (Banjul)

March 19, 2002
Posted to the web March 19, 2002

Saloum Sheriff Janko

Impeccable sources close to the association responsible for buying groundnut
from farmers, Farmers Association of Cooperative Societies (FACS), have
revealed that at least D1.5 million had reportedly been embezzled from the
association's finances.

According to sources, the missing money was part of a fund secured by the
association for the payment of some farmers' arrears and some members of
their casual staff at the various buying points throughout the country.

According to an insider, the amount went missing since last year and was
reportedly taken by some senior managers.

Meanwhile, some angry junior staff and casual workers were said to have
stopped work due to poor conditions of service and the non payment of
farmers' money.

In a similar development, farmers in the provinces are reported to be very
worried about their money.

"We need to pay our children's school fees but how can we, when we are in
this situation," said an irate farmer.