GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:25:48 EDT
Unfortunately Galleh, ours was not a boarding school. It did have the air  of
one and I couldn't help but remember the nicknaming, (brasongula, okonkwo,
etc.). The parallel to your greens is an initiation ceremony held annually to
welcome new students. Toward that date, many a green uniform has been soiled
from the ominous prospects of initiation day that is always talked up by
senior  students as a cannibalistic ritual. I had to have Melvin Hardin and David
Macauley confide in me on the condition of confidentiality that initiation day
 is an honourable occasion devoid of all the gore I may hear. Needless to say
 Hassan Camara always wondered why Haruna is so extraordinarily calm amid all
the  threats to extort Leones from me for more humane treatment on initiation
day. He  never obtained a farthing from me to his permanent chagrin. Until I
left, Hassan  never figured out who my informants were. Stories abound
regarding our rival  schools Muslim brotherhood, Annie Walsh, and Albert Academy
setting up hunting  encampments around the Methodists replete with the regular
extortionists. I  think our seniors and councillors used their status more to
extort money  full-time rather than for the mere exercise of extraordinary power.

Anyway my experiences could not compare with your more exhilarating sojourn
at Armitage. My father taught there once and I still get his students who want
 to whip my arse for exaction of revenge. I thought my father was a most
convivial educator. What with all this einsteinium fury Galleh? I must admit I
receive expressions of equal honour and gratitude.

Go hither, do good work, and stay in touch. Haroun, Al Khairawan.  MQDT.
Darbo.