GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:15:27 +0000
Aunty Jabou

All this business about MASS GRAVES in BANJUL has NOT
been honestly debated.

Whilst, I sympathise with OKO and many other swho
suffered during that brief period of Kukoi's reign of
terror and the PPP's Government inability to crush a
rebellion without the loss of so many lives, I cannot
accept with their analogy that the GRAVE between the
Muslim and Christian Cemetry at MILE I should be seen
as a MASS GRAVE per se.

As mentioned in previous emails, this GRAVE had to be
erected as a precautionary measure. There were so many
Gambians who were killed either by the Rebels or
Loyalist Forces of the PPP regime/ Senegalaise Forces.
The remains of these Gambians were left in the
mortuary with no real hope of finding any relative
that could give them a descent burial under the
prevailing conditions.

It is therefore unfortunate that APRC have tried to
use such a national disaater to castigate the Former
PPP. Whilst, PPP made no secret of a MASS GRAVE for
those who died in the 1981, we are still waiting to
see where the likes of Lt Barrow and many others were
buried after the events of 11 November 1994 and during
other related incidents.

So lets debate this issue in a sincere manner.

By the way, just to inform I have never supported the
PPP government, my points here were made from a
broader perspective.

Thanks
Sanusi

"

 --- Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > In a message
dated 1/22/04 12:03:14 AM Central