GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:20:52 +0200
Mr. Kebba Dampha,
you are so right in all.
I think I said the same in may. I recommend the families to start a legal
process, else they have no chance to get the people responsible for the
death of their children sentenced.
I still wonder how all the military, police or paramilitary involved all
over the country those days are still walking around, (some has tortured
students in their custody), while the authorities now want the students back
into jail. I feel very offended as a human being. It should be very simple
from the first moment to establish a chain of reaction and orders. Who were
on duty, who fired and killed and injured, arrested, tortured. Were they
just taken the situation in their own hands, or did they as ordered, who
ordered. To me itīs very simple.
(Mr. Omar A. Jallow, ex-Serrekunda East politician and Agriculture Minister
in the ousted PPP regime says the same in todays The Point - see below)

The "pattern" I see after reading Observer, Point and Independence (Iīm
sorry that I donīt have Foroyaa) is that the authorities got the information
and/or impression that students all over would march, protest the 10.th
april, and it should be avoided with all means necessary.
And the paramilitary who over the past few years has adopted an uncontrolled
behavior (my opinion), that they can treat anyone with brutality because
they were never blamed, or due to lack of discipline, they did exactly so
the 10.-11. april.  They took the chances to enforce or attack students all
over, no matter if there was examen, demonstration, or just students
gathering. They wanted to show up their brutal power.
And they underestimated the power of the people.
In my opinion there are  too many commissions running right now in The
Gambia. Soon we will also have one parliamentary commission trying to find
the truth of the "oil saga"
You are right, "they" are still pretending that some broke into their
armories and took weapons and ammunition . But with so many soldier, police,
paramilitary and even foreign soldiers in the country, how could it be
possible. And there is not given one simple evidence in that direction. The
officers are not telling the truth, there is not a single honest man among
them who stand up and say I got so and so orders or I gave so and so orders.
They really need to be trained as a soldier and they really need to know
what it means to be a man/officer of honor. They are a disgrace to the code
of officers and I am sure they will be the first ones to run if it comes to
fight and their life is threatened.
But I also feel so sorry for the families.