GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:53:37 -0400
Mr. Joof,

Jammeh was making fun of the "Opposition" and nobody should take that
seriously. Perhaps you folks do not appreciate his sense of humor, but
politicians all over the world caricature their opponents. You may
call it sarcastic but he was never insulting to any in the opposition.
I personally find Jammeh's joke of Halifa Sallah's haircut quite
funny. Politicians need to develop a thick skin, and need not take
such banters too personal.

Mr. Joof, people all over the world are going through "tremendous socio-
economic difficulties" and Gambia is no exception. Right here in
Washington DC there are homeless people without food,healthcare or jobs
to earn a living. Corruption is everywhere in the world, and it is
worst right here in the US. You would be naive to belief that
the "opposition" can make any much difference. Infact, Mr. Darboe one
of the opposition leaders has been accused of corruption by one of his
own deputies...imagine what he will do the Gambian coffers should he
ever be president. Halifa is a dreamer whose leadership has never been
tested. As a person he is a good and honorable man but that alone
doesn't make an effective political leader. Besides, who is the leader
of PDOIS? It sounds like a one man show to me!

Sure, Prez. Jammeh is committed to reconciliation. Reconciliation and
not coalition is the only alternative that can restore peaceful
dialogue amongst all Gambians and help establish a credible democratic
culture. This doesn't mean that the opposition shall cease to exist
but they may regain an assurance that future elections shall be free
and fair. The APRC shall also be confident at the end of the
conciliation process that should we ever loose an election no
bloodthirsty tyrant from the "opposition" shall resort back to politics
of vengeance. Instead of running around the world dreaming about
a "coalition", the opposition should set their priorities straight and
respond to Jammeh's call in order to express their sincerity such as to
set a foundation for a free and fair elections in 2006. If they loose
again(which I am 100% sure will happen) they should try blaming
themselves this time and not make some dubious excuses.

Ebou