GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:25:06 EDT
Sidi,

Thanks for this information regarding a problem that is of great concern to
all of us. I was also going to ask the question regarding sand from external
sources, and I am glad that this sand that is at the bottom of the ocean will
be used. All of us can see that a lot of beachfront has been lost over the
years, even in areas like my old neighbourhood on Wellingotn street where the
Ports Authority is. I know that some have said that his loss of beachfront
was due to people taking sand from these places for building purposes over
the years, but I never believed that this was the main culprit especialy in
this same neighbourhood. True some people did lift sand for building, but it
is also a well known fact that sand being washed into the ocean and
accumulating there can also cause beach erosion, and I do believe this
lifting of acumulated sand out of the ocean floor has infact been used to
correct this problem elsewhere.
Addressing this problem is critical because not only can it lead to the
separation of Banjul from the Kombos, but we could eventually loose the
Banjul area. Just looking around, there is a significant amount of land that
has been lost to erosion whether natural or man made since we were kids in
high school. I am always shocked when i go to places we used to frequent as
kids, and find that most ofit is under water.
Again, thanks for the info.

Jabou Joh