GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:13:51 -0500
I am forwarding the article below (culled from the Observer) to reiterate my
opinion about how hard the AG chambers is working to sabotage this case. In
legal parlance, this is an open and shut case. Thanks to Secka's corruption
and deviant mind and the incompetence of this mental midget (Avan), this
case is virtually lost. Our mercy is in the hands of the judge now.

By not showing up on January 29th, this prosecutor risked getting this very
important case thrown out of court. The government's handling of this case
cost the lives of more than a dozen children. This case is a matter of life
and death, and we have a prosecutor treating the case in this casual matter.
Like I said, this should be one of Joseph Joof's first priorities. The
animals that tortured Ebrima Barry have to be punished.

If this Avan character was supposed to show up in my court and did not even
have the courtesy to explain his absence, I will kick his behind to jail for
contempt of court. This lawlessness can only take place in Gambia. Instead
of deporting Gambian journalists from their country of birth, it is people
like this Avan character that we do not need in the country.
KB

In the ongoing Ebrima Barry murder trial Judge disappointed at prosecution
absence
Justice Timothy Kabalata of the high court yesterday expressed
disappointment at the absence of public prosecutor, Nosa Avan, to reply to
the defence's address, in the ongoing Ebrima Barry murder trial. He said
this yesterday at the resumption of the murder trial. "It is unfortunate
that the state prosecutor is not here to inform the court why he is not
here," Justice Kabalata queried.
The case was earlier stood down for a couple of hours, after the court
received information that Mr Avan's address had some errors which he needed
to correct before delivering it in court. Addressing the court, Lamin
Jobarteh, counsel for the seven accused fire officers, said Mr Avan "had
been giving unnecessary excuses and cannot hold the court to ransom."
Calling for a speedy trial, Mr Jobarteh said, "the court should not allow
the case to drag on unnecessarily. Mr Avan was given ample time to make
corrections of what he had written." The case was adjourned to February 7