GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:55:26 EDT
The Gambian people have gone through a serious crisis.First,i thank them for
their level headedness;i thank them for being civilised people,otherwise the
country would have been disintergrated.The country is small but blessed with
unprecedented expansion of knoledge in all areas of human endeavour,ranging
from religion to culture.
But,as long as arbitrary arrests,tortures and extra judicial killings
continue we must all feel ourselves as victims of the perpetrators of this
inhuman and degrading act.By keeping silent over it we become accomplices of
these criminal actions.It is absolutely unacceptable today for any
Government to hide behind  the principle of non-interference in the internal
affairs of other countries.Human rights is universal and their violation
anywhere should be of universal concern. Unless we all,non governmental
organisations and individuals take a resolute stand against human rights
violations we would be encouraging the perpetrators to continue their acts.
Violations of human rights not only constitute an abuse of the most scred of
the creations of God but they fundamentally undermine progress and
development.It is sad to note, however,that Yahya Jammeh's & co human rights
violations is more rampant,more endemic and more institutionalisd than
anywhere in The Gambia.From the time of the coup todate Gambians have
suffered from the hands of this dictator leader-Yahya Jammeh.
Our beloved country The Gambia,once belonged to a pride of a few of the
African countries that have since independence managed to maintain a
democratic culture,which ensured democratic pluralism and the rule of law.
It is necessary to note that some decrees established during the transition
period still exist and run concurrently with the constitution.What a
democracy is that?.

Best regards

Saihou