GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:51:33 +0000
                           By Akaleke,Our Banjul Correspondent

Barely a week after his release, the former Central Bank Foreign Exchange manager Lang Conteh is in trouble again, as there is a new court order, requesting him to pay the sum of D54,500 to TK Motors, a local Gambian car dealer company.

THE CAMELOT SHAREHOLDER
SCANDAL. WHAT IS YOUR
STAKE JAMMEH?

Mr.Conteh who was behind bars for about one year  was Tuesday ordered by the Kanifing Magistrate Court to pay the said money to TK Motors, which represents the cost of cars he purchased from the car company on credit.  The Kanifing court also ordered the disgraced former banker to pay the sum of  D103,590 and D20,000  to the same company for repair and maintenance , cost respectively and a 24% interest per annum.

The court also held that in default of such an order Conteh,  will serve another prison term. The current managing director of the company Musa Musa, who is a  brother to  deportee Tarik Musa told the court that all attempts to recover the said sum of money from Conteh was unsuccessful. "Since I took over as the manager of TK Motors,  I   tried  to slove the problem outside court,  but lang was not ready for it. So I have no alternative but just to drag him to court."

Lang Conteh is said to be indebted to other business entities in The Gambia, which have also vowed to drag him to court. Reports also suggested that the President Yahya Jammeh is a shareholder to Lang's Camelot shopping centre situated along the Kairaba Avenue. Sources said the head of state uses his close relatives  as under cover to have share on the said company, which was inaugurated by the first lady. It is also reported that the first lady usually visit  Camelot during Lang's good days with Jammeh. The jailed Jarra West former MP and majority leader Baba K Jobe is also a shareholder of Camelot.