GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 08:39:18 EDT
In creating the appropriate environment conducive to the restoration of
democracy in The Gambia through fair and free elections, we set forth the
following initial proposals.

We will identify vital government and economic agencies that are critical in
ensuring continuity in governance. Committees will be setup to draft
policies for such agencies.  The interim government in governing our Nation
can adopt the recommended policies.

As indicated in our earlier postings, potential leaders of the interim
government will be made available to the list at the appropriate time.

The following committees are currently under consideration

Elections Committee
Government Reform Committee
Strategic and Executive Committee
Military and Security Forces Committee
Economic Development Committee
Asset Recovery Committee
Constitution Committee
Foreign Relations Committee
Local Government and Internal Stability committee

The work of some of these committees will overlap. As we move along, some of
the committees would be absorbed into others in order to improve efficiency.
The Elections Committee will do an exhaustive review of our electoral laws
and draft new laws that will guarantee free and fair elections 100 days
after Yaya is removed from power. We associate ourselves with some of the
brilliant work already done on this topic by people like Dr. Saine.

REGISTRATION PROCESS:
We will work with local NGOs, international organizations and institutions
such as the Carter Center to ensure that all Gambians, 18 years and over,
(both inside The Gambia and abroad) are given a fair opportunity to register
to vote.
A registering officer will be appointed for every constituency to coordinate
the registration process. This officer will compile the names of all the
registrants and display such at a very prominent place for a period of five
days. Political parties wishing to challenge the registration of potential
voters will have an opportunity to petition a local tribunal which will be
set up to speedily deal with challenges raised by political parties to the
registration of non-Gambians.
Petitioners will provide prima facie evidence challenging the eligibility of
potential voters. It would then be up to those challenged to bring evidence
to prove that they are Gambians and they also meet residency requirements in
order to vote in a particular constituency.
We will encourage Gambians abroad to also partake in the electoral process
by registering at major Gambian embassies abroad and casting their ballot in
their current countries of residence. We will talk to our Senegalese
brothers and sisters and incorporate their suggestions on this latter issue.

CAMPAIGNS:
All candidates will be given equal opportunity to put their points across to
the electorate. Candidates will be given equal access to government
controlled media. Although we believe that the national TV is of minimum
significance (no electricity), we would still ensure that no candidate would
monopolize any medium of communication.
Leaders of the interim government will not participate in the campaigns of
candidates. It is our sincere hope that these people will stay neutral in
this contest and not allow their offices to be used to create unfair
advantage for any candidate.
Local law enforcement officials will maintain order at political rallies and
generally ensure that political campaigns are not marred by criminal
activities.

VOTING:
Again, with the help of institutions like the Carter Center, voting will be
carried out in a very transparent environment. People's final choices will
be a personal affair. We will have closed ballots, but in an environment
that will not allow rigging. All candidates will be represented at polling
stations to ensure that ballots are cast and counted accordingly.
Independent observers will also be present at various polling stations to
monitor trends.
Election irregularities will be documented and election petitions will be
heard before the Chief Justice immediately following the elections
(petitions should be filed no later than ten days from the day of the
elections). These petitions would be brought before the Chief Justice alone
and there will be no right of appeal from the decision of the said judge.

Again, we invite debate on the issues raised here. As you can see, these
benchmarks would still be applicable if Yaya was to die in his sleep
tomorrow and one of his military cohorts decided to take over. You do not
have to agree with the means Colly advocate in order to join the debate. The
means for getting rid of Yaya are beyond debate now. We do not think that
this is the forum to even discuss serious election strategies, let alone
other more radical means of getting rid of Yaya. So this debate is not about
the means we are going to use to get rid of Yaya. It is about what we should
expect from our leaders if Yaya is removed through means other than
elections.